This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A rich and fluffy Asparagus Frittata with thyme and goat cheese (optional) that only takes a few minutes of prep before baking in the oven. Serve with a large green salad for brunch or lunch.
Happy Weekend! This Asparagus Frittata which I love calling a “Spring Egg Puff” is just what the doctor ordered on lazy Sunday mornings. The nice thing is, it takes just 15 minutes of prep, then strait into the oven it goes to bake until puffed and golden and delicious.
Why I love this Asparagus Frittata
This is a little different than a traditional baked vegetable frittata in that it’s taller and puffier! The batter is fortified with more eggs and a little flour to help keep its stucture, so it does sink down. That’s why I call it an egg puff, at least in my head.
It’s a nice way to use up extra veggies in the fridge. Sometimes I’ll add sautéed leeks, mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach or shallots. Reheat the next day and serve with a green salad for a delicious lunch or dinner.
I especially love the combination of asparagus, thyme and goat cheese, but I’ll often play around with different herbs and cheeses, sometimes even giving it a Mexican twist with corn and peppers.
Use the base as a jumping-off point for your own creations!
How to Make Asparagus Frittata
Start with fresh ingredients. Use good eggs!
Using a mixer or a blender, whip the eggs until light and fluffy.
Add ricotta (or cottage cheese) and fresh thyme (or other herbs).
Prep your veggies. Asparagus can go in raw, or if you like saute with some leeks or shallots, for more flavor.
Layer your fritata- batter, then veggies, more batter and top with veggies.
I like to place the stems underneath and the tips on top- just for looks. 😉
Bake it until puffed and golden. The combo of goat cheese, thyme and asparagus is divine!
Serve this as a hearty breakfast, or even lunch or dinner with a big green salad.
Hope you enjoy this Baked Frittata with Asparagus! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
More Recipes you may like!
- 40 Fresh & Healthy Spring Recipes
- 20 Best Asparagus Recipes
- Vegetable Frittata Baked in the Oven
- Perfect Quiche
- Mother’s Day Brunch Ideas!
Asparagus Frittata- aka “Spring Egg Puff” a simple, delicious vegetarian meal, perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner!
- 10 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Flour (or use GF flour blend)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups grated jack cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, gruyere or a mix (or sub part w/ goat cheese)
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs- thyme, tarragon, basil, cilantro,
- 2 cups chopped asparagus- leave the asparagus tips for the top.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Whip eggs until light and lemon colored (or use a blender)
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder, and gradually whisk or blend this into the eggs, a little at a time, beating with each addition.
- Stir in ricotta or cottage cheese, melted butter, cheese and herbs.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or round equivalent. Pour in half of the egg mixture. Scatter the chopped asparagus (reserving the tips for the top) then pour the remaining egg mixture over top. Scatter asparagus tips over the top and place in the middle of the oven. See notes for additions.
- Bake until center puffs up and is no longer wobbly, 45 mins -1 ¼ hours, depending on the width of your baking dish. (Shallow glass baking dishes and cast-iron skillets cook the fastest. )
- Once puffed let rest 15 minutes before cutting.
- Leftovers can be stored up to 3-4 days and reheated (baked or microwave)
ADDITIONS: Feel free to add sautéed onion, shallots, garlic, leeks, sprinbk onions, spinach, mushrooms or peppers for added flavor. Or to just help clean out your fridge. 😉 Quick cooking veggies like asparagus and peas can be put in raw.
Mexican version: sauteed onion, garlic, peppers, corn and cilantro. Oregano instead of thyme. 🙂
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 618.5 mg
- Fat: 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 23.5 g
- Cholesterol: 283.9 mg
Keywords: asparagus frittata, baked frittata, baked frittata with asparagus, egg puff,