A rich and fluffy Baked Egg Frittata (crustless quiche) with asparagus and goat cheese (optional) that only takes a few minutes of prep before baking in the oven. Serve with a large green salad for brunch or lunch.
Happy Weekend! This Baked Egg Frittata with Asparagus which I love calling a “Spring Egg Puff” is just what the doctor ordered on lazy Sunday mornings. The nice thing is, it takes just 15 minutes of prep, then strait into the oven it goes to bake until puffed and golden and delicious.
Reheat the next day and serve with a green salad for a delicious lunch or dinner.
It’s also a nice way to use up extra veggies in the fridge. Sometimes I’ll add sautéed leeks, mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach or shallots.
I especially love the combination of asparagus, thyme and goat cheese, but I’ll often play around with different herbs and cheeses, sometimes even giving it a Mexican twist with corn and peppers.
Use the base as a jumping-off point for your own creations!
Start with fresh ingredients.
To make the Frittata base, beat the eggs until light and fluffy.
Add fresh thyme ( or other herbs).
Prep your veggies. Asparagus can go in raw, or if you like saute with some leeks or shallots, for more flavor.
I like to place the stems underneath and the tips on top- just for looks. 😉
Bake it until puffed and golden.
The combo of goat cheese, thyme and asparagus is divine!
Serve this as a hearty breakfast, or even lunch or dinner with a big green salad.
Hope you enjoy this Baked Frittata with Asparagus! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata- aka “Spring Egg Puff” a simple, delicious vegetarian meal, perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French
- 10 large Eggs
- ½ C Flour (or use GF flour blend)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Cups Cottage cheese (don’t use low fat- and feel free to sub part w/ goat cheese, feta or sour cream)
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 2 Cups grated jack cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, gruyere or a mix
- 1 Tablespoon fresh herbs- thyme, tarragon, basil, cilantro,
- 2 Cups chopped asparagus- leave the asparagus tips for the top.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Whip eggs until light and lemon colored.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder, and gradually whisk this into the eggs, a little at a time, beating with each addition.
- Stir in cottage cheese, butter, cheese and herbs.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or equivalent. Place chopped asparagus (reserving the tips for the top) in the baking dish and pour egg mix over top. Scatter asparagus tips over the top and place in the middle of the oven. See notes for addtions.
- Bake until center puffs up and is firm, 45 mins -1 ¼ hours, depending on your baking dish.(Shallow glass baking dishes and cast-iron skillets cook the fastest. )
ADDITIONS: Feel free to add sautéed onion, shallots, garlic, leeks, sprinbk onions, spinach, mushrooms or peppers for added flavor. Or to just help clean out your fridge. 😉 Quick cooking veggies like asparagus and peas can be put in raw.
Mexican version: sauted onion, garlic, peppers, corn and cilantro. Oregano instead of thyme. 🙂
- Calories: 495
Keywords: asparagus frittata, baked frittata,