Happy Weekend! This Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata which I loving call a “Spring Egg Puff” is just what the doctor ordered on a lazy Sunday morning. The nice thing is, it takes just ten minutes of prep, then strait into the oven it goes to bake until puffed and golden and delicious. Reheat the next day and serve with a green salad for a delicious lunch. It’s also a nice way to use up extra veggies in the fridge. Sometimes I’ll add sauted mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach or leeks. I especially love this Spring combination of asparagus, thyme and goat cheese, but often play around with different herbs and cheeses, sometimes even giving it a Mexican twist. Use the base as a jumping off point for your own creations!
Start with fresh ingredients.
Beat the eggs until light and fluffy.
Add fresh thyme.
Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata
Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata- aka “Spring Egg Puff” a simple, delicious vegetarian meal, perfect for brunch.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8
- Category: Brunch
- Cuisine: French
- 10 large Eggs
- ½ C Flour ( or use GF flour blend)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Cups Cottage cheese (don’t use low fat- and feel free to sub part w/ goat cheese, feta or sour cream)
- 1/4 C melted butter ( optional, but delicious)
- 2 Cups grated jack cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, gruyere or a mix
- 1 Tablespoon fresh herbs- thyme, tarragon, basil, cilantro,
- 2 Cups chopped asparagus- leave the asparagus tips for the top.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Whip eggs until light and lemon colored.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder, and gradually whisk this into the eggs, a little at a time, beating with each addition.
- Stir in cottage cheese, butter, cheese and herbs.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or equivalent. Place chopped asparagus (reserving the tips for the top) in the baking dish and pour egg mix over top. Scatter asparagus tips over the top and place in the middle of the oven.
- Bake until center puffs up and is firm, 45 mins -1 ¼ hours, depending on your baking dish.(Shallow glass baking dishes and cast-iron skillets cook the fastest. )
- Notes- feel free to add sautéed mushrooms or peppers, or other cooked veggies. Asparagus can be put in raw.