A rich and fluffy Baked Egg Frittata ( crustless quiche) with asparagus and goat cheese that only takes a few minutes of prep before baking in the oven. Serve with a large green salad for brunch or lunch.
Happy Weekend! This Baked Asparagus Frittata which I love calling a “Spring Egg Puff” is just what the doctor ordered on a lazy Sunday mornings. The nice thing is, it takes just 15 minutes of prep, then strait into the oven it goes to bake until puffed and golden and delicious. Reheat the next day and serve with a green salad for a delicious lunch.
It’s also a nice way to use up extra veggies in the fridge. Sometimes I’ll add sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach or leeks. I especially love the combination of asparagus, thyme and goat cheese, but I’ll often play around with different herbs and cheeses, sometimes even giving it a Mexican twist. Use the base as a jumping off point for your own creations!
Start with fresh ingredients.
Beat the eggs until light and fluffy.
Add fresh thyme.
Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata
Asparagus and Goat Cheese Frittata- aka “Spring Egg Puff” a simple, delicious vegetarian meal, perfect for brunch.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French
- 10 large Eggs
- ½ C Flour ( or use GF flour blend)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Cups Cottage cheese (don’t use low fat- and feel free to sub part w/ goat cheese, feta or sour cream)
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 2 Cups grated jack cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, gruyere or a mix
- 1 Tablespoon fresh herbs- thyme, tarragon, basil, cilantro,
- 2 Cups chopped asparagus- leave the asparagus tips for the top.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Whip eggs until light and lemon colored.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder, and gradually whisk this into the eggs, a little at a time, beating with each addition.
- Stir in cottage cheese, butter, cheese and herbs.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or equivalent. Place chopped asparagus (reserving the tips for the top) in the baking dish and pour egg mix over top. Scatter asparagus tips over the top and place in the middle of the oven.
- Bake until center puffs up and is firm, 45 mins -1 ¼ hours, depending on your baking dish.(Shallow glass baking dishes and cast-iron skillets cook the fastest. )
- Notes- feel free to add sautéed mushrooms or peppers, or other cooked veggies. Asparagus can be put in raw.
- Calories: 495
Keywords: asparagus frittata, baked frittata,