Delicious plant-based, Korean Bulgogi, ready in minutes! Jackfruit soaks up all the yummy flavors instantly without hours of marinating. Pair with rice, kimchi, and a seared vegetable for a quick and amazing Vegan Bulgogi Bowl!
Here’s a fast and easy vegan weeknight dinner you are sure to fall in love with. Jackfruit replaces the meat in traditional Bulgogi and lends itself perfectly to this dish. It shreds easily, has a tender texture, and a fairly neutral taste allowing it to take on the flavor of the marinade.
What is Bulgogi?
The basic definition for Bulgogi is thinly sliced, marinated meat that is grilled, roasted, or pan-fried used in Korean cuisine.
What makes Bulgogi Sauce unique?
- Gochujang is an essential ingredient for this recipe. Known as the spicy miso of Korean cooking. It has serious umami! It has become quite popular making it easier to obtain. Different brands vary in spice level so start with less and adjust to taste. An easy substitute is Garlic Chili paste.
- Asian Pear is a classic ingredient adding sweetness and fruity complexity to traditional Bugolgi Sauce, however, the recipe works just as well with apple or regular pear.
Carefully fold in the jackfruit until it is fully immersed in the bulgogi marinade.
Heat a cast-iron or non-stick pan to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of high heat oil, and using tongs, place the marinated jackfruit in the skillet, letting the excess marinade drip back into the bowl.
Spread the jackfruit bulgogi evenly in the pan and let it cook without stirring for about 3-4 minutes.
Flip over letting it brown a bit, about another 3 minutes, adding more oil if needed. Pour the remaining marinade and green onions into the pan stir and heat thoroughly for another minute.
This flavorful vegan Bulgogi Bowl comes together quickly and easily, perfect for midweek dinners.
Give the Vegan Bulgogi with Jackfruit a try this week and let us know what you think in the comments below! We are excited for you to try this!Print
Vegan, plant-based, Korean Bulgogi using jackfruit instead of meat, with a flavorful Bulgogi Sauce/marinade! Create a vegan Bulgogi Bowl with rice, veggies and kimchi! Can be made in under 30 minutes!
- ½ cup of Asian pear, grated (or sub regular pear or apple)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (or GF liquid aminos)
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon gochujang pepper paste ( or sub garlic chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon high heat oil –peanut oil, avocado oil, wok oil, etc
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
20 oz can of jackfruit (packed in water), drained and rinsed
Serve with: cooked rice, steamed or sauteed veggies, kimchi, crunchy radishes to create a Bulgogi Bowl.
- In a bowl whisk together grated Asian pear, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and gochujang.
- Gently shred jackfruit, hands work best here. Add to the marinade and carefully fold in until jackfruit is fully immersed in the liquid.
- Heat a cast-iron or non-stick pan to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, using tongs, place jackfruit in the skillet, letting the excess marinade drip back into the bowl. Spread jackfruit evenly in the pan and let it cook without stirring for about 3-4 minutes. Flip over letting it brown a bit, about another 3 minutes, adding more oil if needed.
- Pour the remaining marinade and green onions into the pan stir and heat thoroughly for another minute.
- Serve over rice with veggies, kimchi and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.
Vegan Jackfruit Bulgogi is great in tacos, burritos, lettuce wraps, sushi, spring rolls and so much more!
Feel free to use the flavorful marinade for thinly sliced chicken or beef (for mixed-diet households).
Leftovers will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Keywords: vegan bulgogi, jackfruit bulgogi, how to make vegan bulgogi, jackfruit recipes, easy jackfruit recipes, how to cook jackfruit,