Vegan, plant-based, Korean Bulgogi using jackfruit instead of meat, with a flavorful Bulgogi Sauce/marinade! Create a vegan Bulgogi Bowl with rice, veggies and kimchi! Can be made in under 30 minutes!
- ½ cup of Asian pear, grated (or sub regular pear or apple)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (or GF liquid aminos)
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon gochujang pepper paste ( or sub garlic chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon high heat oil –peanut oil, avocado oil, wok oil, etc
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
20 oz can of jackfruit (packed in water), drained and rinsed
Serve with: cooked rice, steamed or sauteed veggies, kimchi, crunchy radishes to create a Bulgogi Bowl.
- In a bowl whisk together grated Asian pear, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and gochujang.
- Gently shred jackfruit, hands work best here. Add to the marinade and carefully fold in until jackfruit is fully immersed in the liquid.
- Heat a cast-iron or non-stick pan to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, using tongs, place jackfruit in the skillet, letting the excess marinade drip back into the bowl. Spread jackfruit evenly in the pan and let it cook without stirring for about 3-4 minutes. Flip over letting it brown a bit, about another 3 minutes, adding more oil if needed.
- Pour the remaining marinade and green onions into the pan stir and heat thoroughly for another minute.
- Serve over rice with veggies, kimchi and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.
Vegan Jackfruit Bulgogi is great in tacos, burritos, lettuce wraps, sushi, spring rolls and so much more!
Feel free to use the flavorful marinade for thinly sliced chicken or beef (for mixed-diet households).
Leftovers will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Keywords: vegan bulgogi, jackfruit bulgogi, how to make vegan bulgogi, jackfruit recipes, easy jackfruit recipes, how to cook jackfruit,