As as I type snow begins to fall… just in time for a white Christmas. The last few days have been dreamy and beautiful. The trees are perfectly flocked. The sun breaks through this morning and everything shimmers, the air is glittery, sparkling with snow dust. It catches me by surprise, the beauty of it all. And for a moment everything stops. I feel awestruck.
To be here in winter, one must look for the gifts… even the small ones. They come in many forms, usually right in front of us.
I often find them in the kitchen, little messages from the universe, that take the form of produce. 😉
Parsnip Soup with Toasted Hazelnuts
Parsnip Soup with Apples, Cardamom and Toasted Hazelnuts. Vegan adaptable. make this on the stovetop, or roast the parsnips in the oven!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: soup, vegetarian
- Method: stovetop or roasted
- Cuisine: Pacific Northwest
- 3 tablespoons oil or butter
- one onion, diced ( see instructions in notes, if roasting)
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/4 of an apple, sliced
- 1 lbs parsnips, washed and sliced to 1/2 inch thick disks
- 4 cups stock- veggie or chicken
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half and half or vegan cream ( all optional- see notes)
Garnish: toasted hazelnuts, crushed. Drizzle of hazelnut oil (optional). Thyme sprigs.
Stovetop version: ( see notes for roasted version)
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and saute until fragrant and golden, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and apples. Saute 2-3 more minutes until frgrant.
- Add parsnips and stock and salt. Give a stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until parsnips are cooked through, about 12-14 minutes.
- Turn heat off and puree either using an immersion blender or regular blender ( blend in batches) until smooth. Place back in the pot over low heat.
- Whisk in the cardamom and white pepper, add the cream. Taste and adjust the salt and spices to your liking.
- Serve in bowls with crushed toasted hazelnuts. A little drizzle of hazelnut oil is nice if you have it too. Top with a thyme sprig. Enjoy!
Roasting: 400F oven.
You can roast the parsnips, onion, apple and garlic in a large baking dish. (You may need two baking dishes ). Leave the garlic whole and cut the 1/4th apple in 2 pieces. Slice the onion and parsnips into 1/2 inch thick disks. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. COVER TIGHTLY WITH FOIL.
Roast until really tender, about 20-30 minutes. Puree with the stock or broth. Place in a pot add fresh thyme leaves and continue with stovetop instructions, adding salt, spices, cream etc.
Roasting will elevate the flavor, but will take longer and add another pan to clean. 🙂
For a lower fat version- you can leave the cream out of this soup for a lightened up version. Parsnips are so naturally creamy, you may not need it, or need all of it.
Keywords: parsnip soup, parsnip soup with apples, vegan parsnip soup, roasted parsnips, roasted parsnip soup, parsnip recipes, parsnip soup recipes