- 3 tablespoons oil or butter
- one onion, diced ( see instructions in notes, if roasting)
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/4 th of an apple, sliced
- 1 lbs parsnips, washed and sliced to 1/2 inch thick disks
- 4 cups stock- veggie or chicken
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half and half or vegan cream (all optional- see notes)
Stovetop version: ( see notes for roasted version)
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and saute until fragrant and golden, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and apples. Saute 2-3 more minutes until frgrant.
- Add parsnips and stock and salt. Give a stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until parsnips are cooked through, about 12-14 minutes.
- Turn heat off and puree either using an immersion blender or regular blender ( blend in batches) until smooth. Place back in the pot over low heat.
- Whisk in the cardamom and white pepper, add the cream. Taste and adjust the salt and spices to your liking.
- Serve in bowls with crushed toasted hazelnuts. A little drizzle of hazelnut oil is nice if you have it too. Top with a thyme sprig. Enjoy!
Roasting: 400F oven.
You can roast the parsnips, onion, apple and garlic in a large baking dish. (You may need two baking dishes ). Leave the garlic whole and cut the 1/4th apple in 2 pieces. Slice the onion and parsnips into 1/2 inch thick disks. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. COVER TIGHTLY WITH FOIL.
Roast until really tender, about 20-30 minutes. Puree with the stock or broth. Place in a pot add fresh thyme leaves and continue with stovetop instructions, adding salt, spices, cream etc.
Roasting will elevate the flavor, but will take longer and add another pan to clean. 🙂
For a lower fat version- you can leave the cream out of this soup for a lightened up version. Parsnips are so naturally creamy, you may not need it, or need all of it.
- Serving Size: 1.25 cups (with heavy whipping cream)
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 8.5 g
- Sodium: 403.4 mg
- Fat: 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.7 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 11.3 mg
Keywords: parsnip soup, parsnip soup with apples, vegan parsnip soup, roasted parsnips, roasted parsnip soup, parsnip recipes, parsnip soup recipes