Instead of hard boiled eggs I added marinated peppers and cannellini beans, both for protein and heartiness. And truthfully for my husband Brian- who won’t come near a hard boiled egg.
The great thing about this salad is, it can mostly be made ahead if need be. And believe it or not, it’s makes for a delicious camping meal- with just a few adaptions. For an upcoming article in the Spokesman Review on Easy Camping Meals, I included this recipe and some other tips for camping meals … and will post the link here once it’s out.
Below is the regular recipe, and underneath that- “camping version”.
Summer Nicoise Salad with Grilled Fish
A hearty summer Nicoise Salad Recipe with grilled salmon, tuna or white fish with fresh summer tomatoes, beans, purple potatoes and herbs, with a delicious Nicoise Salad Dressing .
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: serves 4
- Category: salad, main, fish, entree salad, gluten free
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: French
- 4 x 6oz fish filets -any thicker cut, grill-able fish (salmon, black cod, rockfish, mahi mahi, halibut, bass, tuna)
- 2 x 15 oz cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained (or 3 C cooked)
- 12 baby new potatoes halved and blanched
- 1/2 lb green beans trimmed and blanched
- 1/4 cup kalamata or niçoise olives sliced
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained.
- 1/2 C sliced roasted red bell pepper
- Mixed greens, spinach or arugula for 4 people, approx 8 oz 12 cherry tomatoes
Nicoise Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice and zest of one lemon ( Meyer Lemon if possible)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 C red onion- finely diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 C chopped italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 3/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 T whole grain mustard
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- zest of one lemon
- Mix all ingredients for the fish marinade in a medium bowl and coat fish with it, marinating for at least a 1/2 hour or preferably overnight.
- Blanch potatoes and green beans. Cool, set aside.
- Make Nicoise dressing. Mix all the ingredients together in a medium size bowl. Add cannellini beans, roasted peppers, capers, olives.
- Grill fish over a grill or campfire using a grate, charring fish over hot coals for just a few minutes, with a metal spatula, move to cooler spot, or place on foil, or even a bed of lemon slices, until cooked to your desired done-ness.
- Assemble the salad. Lay down a hearty bed of greens. Spoon a little Nicoise dressing from the bowl of marinated vegetables over the greens. Arrange or divide the marinated bean mix over the dressed greens, and arrange or divide the potatoes and green beans drizzling with a little marinade, and top with charred fish. Garnish with sliced cherry tomatoes and give fish a little squeeze of lemon, cracked pepper.
Keywords: salmon nicoise salad, nicoise salad recipe, salad nicoise recipe, nicoise with salad, nicoise salad dressing