This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This savory Leek Bread is made with melted leeks and cheese and is the perfect accompaniment to soups, stews, and salads. (Allow 2 1/2 hours with 35 minutes of active, hands-on time. )
We’ve been baking up this Leek Bread since November, getting it nice and perfect for you. Brian has been in heaven! It’s fun to make and full of amazing flavor- the perfect pairing to soups, stews and salads.
It starts with mixing up the simple dough.
Savory Leek Bread | 45 Second video
Using instant yeast, saves a couple of steps and makes this rise quickly. Kneed for 5 minutes.
Oil the boil, cover with a damp kitchen towel and place somewhere warm allowing 1 – 1.5 hours to rise and double in size.
While it is rising, make the leek filling.
Cut the leeks into rounds. Give a good washing.
Saute in a little butter or olive oil, over low heat, taking your time, until tender. Add garlic if you like.
Once the leeks are tender, turn the heat off.
Once the dough has doubled in size, roll it out on a heavily floured surface, into a 12 x 16-inch rectangle.
Add the seasoned leeks, goat cheese (or mozzarella) and parmesan (or romano). Using two different kinds of cheese works best here!
Then starting from the narrower end, roll it up and place it on parchment-lined sheet pan. So your roll will be roughly 12 inches long.
Using kitchen scissors, slice at a 45-degree angle, every inch or so, about 2/3 of the way deep, cut little “beaks”.
Then pull the beaks to each side, alternating to expose the filling.
Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350F
Brush with the egg wash to give it a nice golden sheen.
Bake at 350 F degrees on the middle rack until puffed and golden, 30-40 minutes, rotating it halfway through if need be.
When you open the oven door, your house will smell amazing.
Pull it apart or slice it up. Up to you!
More recipes you may enjoy
I hope you are enjoying being at home these days. I always find comfort in the kitchen, I hope you find it too.
A simple delicious recipe for crusty Leek Bread to serve with your favorite soups, stews and salads. Allow 2 1/2 hours with 35 minutes active time.
- 1 cup milk (or nut milk), lukewarm
- 1 package, fast-acting Instant Yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons) see notes for active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter or ghee
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups white flour (400 grams) or a blend of whole wheat and white.
- 2 large leeks, sliced, and rinsed well. ( Or you could sub 2 caramelized onions instead.)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or one teaspoon dried) or sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, rough chopped (optional)
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled (4 ounces) or used shredded Mozzerella Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or pecorino
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- pinch salt
- In a stand mixer or in a large bowl, mix yeast and milk together. Whisk in the egg, oil, salt , then stir in the flour and knead for five minutes. The dough should be semi-soft, not stiff.
- Oil the boil and the ball of dough, placing it back in the bowl. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rise until doubled, about 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- In the meantime, cut, rinse and saute the leeks with the oil in a large skillet over low heat. The moisture from rinsing them will help soften them. Add the garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper. When the garlic is fragrant and the leeks are tender, turn the heat off and let this cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- When dough has doubled, place it on a well-floured surface and roll it into roughly a 12-inch by 16-inch rectangle. Spread out the tender, seasoned leeks and sprinkle with cheese. Make sure to use at least 2 kinds of cheese here for the best flavor – adding a melty cheese like mozzarella- and make doubly sure you salted your leeks in the pan. 🙂
- Starting from the narrower end, roll into a roll. Fold the ends under and place on of parchment– lined sheet pan.
- Cut little “beaks” into the dough (refer to photos) at a 45-degree angle, 2/3 rds of the way deep at one-inch intervals. Then pull the points out towards the edges, alternating sides. (See photo above.) Cover with a towel and let rest 20 minutes.
- Make the egg wash by whisking the egg, water and salt in a small bowl. Brush the dough gently with egg wash. (Or use butter or half and half).
- Place in the hot oven, on the middle rack, uncovered. Check at 20 minutes (rotating if need be) and continue baking until puffed and golden for an additional 20-30 minutes until beautifully golden. NO pale loaves please. 🙂 Internal temp should be at 200F.
Enjoy! Your home will smell amaaaaaaazing!
Use two kinds of cheese for the best flavor include a melty one.
If using Active Dry Yeast ( not fast-acting or Instant yeast) mix the yeast with the luke warm milk first, add a pinch of sugar and let stand 5-10 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. Allow 2 1/2-3 hours (double) rising time.
If subbing whole wheat for part of this, you may need more milk.
- Serving Size: 1/10th
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 317.3 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.3 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Cholesterol: 24.1 mg
Keywords: leek bread, crusty bread, easy bread recipe, pull apart bread with leeks