Fire up the grill with these delicious Grilled Dijon Chicken Skewers with leeks, potatoes and rosemary. A delicious, healthy meal, perfect for summer nights on the patio! Serve this up with a caesar salad and dinner is ready!
Chicken skewers get a little French makeover with grilled leeks (yum!) and grilled potatoes ( double yum!) all lathered up in a flavorful Dijon Garlic Rosemary Glaze. Serve this with a Caesar salad, and enjoy a healthy light and flavorful dinner!
This recipe was created for Maille, a French gourmet mustard company who challenged me to come up with a new recipe using one of their products. Well, this was easy because I use their mustard all the time…. in dressings, marinades and sauces. It’s my mustard of choice in this Mustard Crusted Salmon Recipe.
Maille has been producing French style mustards, vinegar, olive oil and cornichons for more than 250 years. Recently it opened its first boutique store in New York’s Upper West Side and launched an online store that ships its gourmet products around the world.
Leeks are sliced and blanched for just a few moments. Potatoes are blanched until tender, about 15 minutes. If you’ve never tried grilled leeks, you are in for a treat. Brian actually got me hooked on these last summer. He would grill whole leeks, low and slow on the grill and serve as a side with crumbled goat cheese….so tasty!
So it was he who gave me the idea of putting them on the skewer. The first time I made these, I did not blanch them first. The leeks were underdone. The quick blanching makes them easier to skewer, gives them a bright green vibrancy, and allows them to grill to perfection. So be sure to blanch first!
While the leeks and potatoes are blanching, whisk up the flavorful marinade.
Dijon mustard, olive oil, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper are mixed up in a small bowl. The marinade will seem especially strong, so don’t let it startle you. It mellows out perfectly once grilled.
Cut the chicken into one inch cubes. If you are vegetarian or vegan, replace the chicken with button or cremini mushrooms, for a tasty alternative.
Then start skewering ….chicken, blanched potato, blanched leek, lemon slice, and repeat. The grilled lemon gives such a burst of flavor.
Lather up the skewers on all sides with the flavorful marinade.
Place on a medium hot grill.
Grill each side until good grill marks appear, closing lid after each turn.
Turn heat off, cover and let the grilled chicken skewers with leeks …cook through a few minutes.
Serve the Grilled Chicken Skewers with Leeks on a platter with rosemary sprigs and lemon.
Serve with a big caesar salad.
Have a beautiful relaxing weekend!
Dijon Chicken Skewers with Leeks, Potatoes and Rosemary
Grilled Dijon Chicken Skewers with leeks, potatoes and Rosemary. A delicious, healthy meal perfect for summer nights on the patio!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main, chicken, grilled
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: French
- 8 oz small fingerling potatoes
- 2 small leeks ( 1 inch-1 ½ inch in diameter)
- 1 lb chicken boneless, skinless Chicken breast
- 4 T dijon mustard
- 4 T olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves- grated or finely minced
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Soak Skewers in hot water for 30 minutes. Blanch potatoes in a pot of salted simmering water, until fork tender, for about 15 minutes ( depending on the size). Drain.
- Cut leeks into disks about ¾ inch thick and set leeks in a saute pan with ½ inch of water (coming up half way up the sides of the leeks) bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer on low for 5 minutes, until tender, and vibrant green. Drain, carefully, so they stay intact.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and generously salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix mustard, oil, minced garlic and rosemary, salt and pepper until incorporated.
- Preheat grill to med high. Assemble Skewers- place chicken, potato, leek ( through the side, not middle) a lemon slice folded in half, and repeat, chicken, potato, leek and finish with chicken on the end. Should have enough to make 8 skewers total. Brush each sewer with the dijon marinade on all sides, using up all the marinade.
- On medium high grill , grease with spray oil, and place skewers on the grill. Cover and let cook about 4 minutes, or until there are good grill marks. Turn over. Turn heat to medium, cover and cook 4 more minutes. Rotate and grill the other two sides of the chicken, for a few minutes. Turn heat off and let chicken rest on the grill, covered, allowing it to continue to cook through until its done, about 5 minutes. Place on a platter and scatter lemon slices and rosemary sprigs around.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 265
Keywords: dijon chicken recipes, grilled chicken skewers, grilled dijon chicken recipe, grilled leeks, grilled potatoes