Refreshing Ahi Salad with cucumber ribbons, pickled onions, dill and mustard seed dressing- a simple healthy tuna recipe that is low-carb, gluten free, and paleo.
This fresh, raw Ahi Salad is one of my favorites. Think of it as a twist on Ahi Poke Salad Cucumbers are shaved with a vegetable peeler to make thin ribbons, fresh ahi tuna is thinly sliced and both are tossed with quick pickled red onions, fresh dill and a flavorful mustard seed dressing. A very light and refreshing meal or starter, that only takes a few minutes to make! Give it a whirl and see what you think. A different spin on Sushi Salad.
While in the southern islands of Japan we had a lot of “Sushi Salads” . The cooling cucumber was a godsend, thirst quenching and refreshing.
Not sure how you feel about raw fish, but I’ve come to love it. Whether it’s sushi, ceviche, poke – it’s full of healthy omega 3’s.
If you like this one, why not give my Easy Ceviche a try. So light and refreshing, perfect for summer!
Refreshing Ahi Salad with cucumber ribbons, pickled onions, dill and mustard seed dressing – a simple healthy tuna salad recipe that is low-carb, gluten free, and paleo.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds ( or use whole grain mustard)
- 1 star anise pod ( optional)
- 1/2 red onion- finely sliced
- 1 English cucumber ( or 4 turkish, about 12 ounces total)
- 4 ounces sushi grade ahi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh dill
- In a small pot or saute pan, bring vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, mustard seeds, star anise to a boil. Add the finely sliced red onion. Simmer two minutes and chill in the fridge 20 minutes or until cold (you can do this the day before).
- When ready to serve, thinly slice the cucumber with a vegetable peeler or mandolin. Slice one side ( laying it down on a counter, peeling towards you, then flip over and slice the other side. Discard the seedy middle section. Place cucumber ribbons in a bowl. Top with half the dill and mix.
- Cut the ahi, slicing ¼ inch thick, bite size pieces, cutting across or against the grain, then toss with the onions and pickling liquid ( make sure you’ve waited until it’s cold, and fish out the star anise pod) and toss to coat.
- Pour the ahi-onion and liquid over the cucumber ribbons, gently tossing. Using tongs divide and arrange among bowls. Garnish with fresh dill and a drizzle of olive oil ( optional).
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 13.5 g
- Sodium: 609.2 mg
- Fat: 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.7 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 14.8 g
- Cholesterol: 22.2 mg
Keywords: ahi salad recipe, ahi tuna salad, poke recipe, ahi poke, cucumber salad, raw tuna salad, ahi poke recipe,