What is a Bouchon?
Anyways… moving into the colder months, I hope you find a time of rest and stillness.
Enjoy the Apple Bouchons. They are very easy to make. If you like the “cork” shape of these – get a bouchon mold and play around with it! So much fun!
After they are baked in the oven, pop them out of the mold, roll them in warm browned butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Such a special treat.
It’s seriously impossible to have just one. 😉
PS. You may also enjoy this recipe for Chocolate Bouchons
Apple Brown Butter Bouchons (aka Donut Muffins! ) are very easy to make and oh so delicious! Baked instead of fried, they are rolled in browned butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
- 1 large apple- diced small (honey crisp, empire, pink lady)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup olive oil (light is best)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 3/4 cup Milk (or nut milk)
Brown Butter topping
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- Heat butter in a medium skillet and add diced apples. Saute on med heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg and milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir only to combine. Fold in apples.
- Pour into greased Bouchon molds or cupcake or muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the topping, brown the butter over medium heat in a small pot until golden brown, nutty and fragrant. Combine sugar and cinnamon in bowl.
- Shake Bouchons or muffins out of the tins while still hot.
- Dip or brush muffins tops and sides with brown butter, then roll into the sugar-cinnamon mix.
- Let cool.
I use this bouchon mold.
If using a muffin tin, baking time may change- just ensure a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 25 g
- Sodium: 134.2 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.9 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 34.2 mg
Keywords: apple donuts, donut muffins, bouchons, bouchon recipe, apple bourbons, don't muffin recipe