The apple muffins are baked in the oven, popped out of the tin, rolled in warm brown butter and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. It’s impossible to have just one.
Apple Brown Butter Bouchons
Apple Bouchons- delicious “donut muffins”!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8-10
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: French
- 1 large apple- diced (honey crisp, empire, pink lady)
- 1 T butter
- 1¾ cup Flour
- 1½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅓ cups Oil
- ¾ cups Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- ¾ cup Milk
- Brown Butter topping
- ¼ cup Butter
- ⅓ cup White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- Heat 1 T butter in a medium skillet and add diced apples. Saute on med heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg and milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir only to combine. Fold in apples.
- Pour into greased Bouchon molds or cupcake or muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the topping, brown the butter over medium heat in a small pot until golden brown, nutty and fragrant. Combine sugar and cinnamon in bowl.
- Shake Bouchons or muffins out of the tins while still hot.
- Dip muffins in brown butter, then into the sugar-cinnamon mix. Let cool.