Apple Brown Butter Bouchons (aka Donut Muffins! ) are very easy to make and oh so delicious! Baked instead of fried, they are rolled in browned butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
- 1 large apple- diced small (honey crisp, empire, pink lady)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup olive oil (light is best)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 3/4 cup Milk (or nut milk)
Brown Butter topping
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- Heat butter in a medium skillet and add diced apples. Saute on med heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg and milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir only to combine. Fold in apples.
- Pour into greased Bouchon molds or cupcake or muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the topping, brown the butter over medium heat in a small pot until golden brown, nutty and fragrant. Combine sugar and cinnamon in bowl.
- Shake Bouchons or muffins out of the tins while still hot.
- Dip or brush muffins tops and sides with brown butter, then roll into the sugar-cinnamon mix.
- Let cool.
I use this bouchon mold.
If using a muffin tin, baking time may change- just ensure a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 25 g
- Sodium: 134.2 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.9 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 34.2 mg
Keywords: apple donuts, donut muffins, bouchons, bouchon recipe, apple bourbons, don't muffin recipe