Apple Brown Butter Bouchons (aka Donut Muffins! ) are very easy to make and oh so delicious! Baked instead of fried, they are rolled in browned butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
- 1 large apple- diced small (honey crisp, empire, pink lady)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1¾ cups Flour
- 1½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅓ cup olive oil (light is best)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large Egg
- ¾ cup Milk (or nut milk)
Brown Butter topping
- ¼ cup Butter
- ⅓ cup White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- Heat butter in a medium skillet and add diced apples. Saute on med heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg and milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir only to combine. Fold in apples.
- Pour into greased Bouchon molds or cupcake or muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the topping, brown the butter over medium heat in a small pot until golden brown, nutty and fragrant. Combine sugar and cinnamon in bowl.
- Shake Bouchons or muffins out of the tins while still hot.
- Dip or brush muffins tops and sides with brown butter, then roll into the sugar-cinnamon mix.
- Let cool.
I use this bouchon mold.
Keywords: apple donuts, donut muffins, bouchons, bouchon recipe, apple bourbons, don't muffin recipe