Here I use lots of garlic, fresh sage, and caramelized onions which give the cauliflower gratin depth and flavor.
Sauté the onions and the garlic. Sometimes I’ll double the garlic for an extra boost. Add the sage.
Make the creamy béchamel sauce.
I use 2 % milk instead of cream and have cut down on the cheese for this recipe.
Sometimes, for added texture, I’ll add breadcrumbs for a crunchy topping. This is optional.
Blend up day-old bread with fresh sage, fresh garlic, a pinch of salt and some olive oil or melted butter. Sprinkle over the top.
However you choose to serve this Cauliflower Gratin, it’s pretty hard to resist!
Cauliflower Gratin with Garlic and Sage
Roasted Cauliflower Gratin with garlic and sage, a delicious side dish that is keto, low carb and gluten-free, perfect for the holiday table! Vegetarian or add bacon or pancetta. Updated Dec 2019.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: vegetarian side dish
- Method: roasted
- Cuisine: northwest
- 2 medium cauliflower heads (about 10 cups, 20 ounces florets)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced or sub 2 fat shallots)
- 6–8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage (or 2 teaspoons dry sage, or sub rosemary or thyme)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or gf flour)
- 2 cups milk, hot
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh grated is nice)
- ¼ cup grated gruyere cheese- (or mozzarella -plus 3 Tablespoons for the top)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or pecorino
- ¼ cup crispy bacon bits, or crispy pancetta
- ¼ cup vegan “bacon bits”
- bread crumb topping (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Roast the Cauliflower: Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces, toss with olive oil (just enough to lightly coat) salt and pepper and place on one (or two) parchment-lined sheet pans ( in a single layer) and bake until tender and golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Saute the onions: In an extra large skillet saute the onion over med- high heat in olive oil until tender and fragrant, stirring often, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sage and lower heat to medium and sauté 3-4 minutes, until fragrant, season with salt and pepper. Take your time here and make sure onion and garlic are golden and tender. Set aside.
- Make the Bechamel Sauce: In a small pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir until butter just begins to become golden and becomes nutty and fragrant. Add flour. Stir and cook flour for at least 1 minute. Whisk in ½ C hot milk making sure to whisk all the flour from the corners and sides of the pot. Add another ½ C milk, whisking well. Add the final cup of milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk constantly until mixture thickens and just comes to a simmer. Turn heat to low and whisk in cheese and set aside.
- Assemble: Use a greased, oven-proof 10 inch cast iron skillet, 8×11 inch baking dish or greased individual ramekins. Toss the roasted cauliflower with the Bechamel sauce and onions/garlic/ sage mixture. Taste for salt and pepper, adjusting to your liking.
- Top with optional bread crumbs (see notes), optional crispy bacon or pancetta (or vegan bacon bits) a few sage leaves or a little more cheese. You could refrigerate this overnight at this point if making ahead (perhaps not in the cast iron). If refrigerating, be sure to bring to room temp before baking.
- Lower heat to 375 F and bake uncovered in the oven, until golden and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
To make bread the crumbs: In a food processor, pulse 2 slices day old bread with one clove garlic, a few sage leaves, 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of salt. ( Or simply toss bread crumbs with olive oil and and salt)
You can also steam the florets in a steamer basket instead of roasting- but be sure not to overcook. Al dente is BEST.
This can be made ahead, but I would bake it before serving.
Keywords: roasted cauliflower gratin, easy cauliflower gratin, , cauliflower gratin, cauliflower side dish, vegetarian cauliflower recipe, best cauliflower gratin recipe, healthy cauliflower recipe