These Grilled Lamb Chops with Italian Salsa Verde are so easy, yet full of incredible flavor! Your lamb-loving guests will swoon with delight- it’s our MOST requested catering recipe!
We are coming to the end of our 10 years of catering here in the Pacific Northwest. This recipe for Grilled Lamb Chops with Italian Salsa Verde ( aka, Italian herb caper sauce) has been one of our most requested recipes from clients and guests, and I wanted to share it with you lamb-lovers out there.
During catering events we normally serve these single lamb chops as an appetizer, and call them “lollipops”, giving guests “permission” to hold them by the bone and nibble away. The moaning and groaning of pure delight that often trickles back into the kitchen always makes me feel like we performed our job well that day. So friends, make this sometime soon out on your patio, before summer completely winds down and serve it up to your very favorite lamb-loving friends and listen for the purr. You can thank me later.
Why I love this recipe
What I love about this grilled lamb chop recipe is how simple yet flavorful it is. It is mouth-watering. The Italian Salsa Verde is a bright, zesty, briny, olive oil-based herb sauce can be made ahead and really has so many uses, you’ll wonder why you haven’t made it sooner.
It’s a flavor booster I always try to have on hand in the fridge. Spoon it over grilled veggies, eggs or toss it into pasta like you would pesto. Swirl it into soups or mayo and make a flavorful aioli for sandwiches. The lamb when cut into single chops cooks very quickly on the grill, making this a very easy appetizer to whip up if everything is prepped and ready.
And keep in mind, this could also be dinner, simply serve 2-3 lamb chops per person.
I prefer to use sustainably raised, locally grown, American lamb, which is raised closer to home compared to imported lamb that travels from great distances to get here. For one, it’s fresher and but more importantly, it supports our local community. It’s produced in nearly every state and is available fresh year round, just check your local farmers market. In years past we’ve bought ½ or ¼ of a lamb locally and kept it frozen, which is always an option too.
American lamb is always raised hormone-free and producers go to great lengths to give their animals healthy, comfortable lives, letting them graze and forage on a variety of nutrient-dense grasses and legumes – producing succulent, sweet and tender meat.
For more info please check out American Lamb.
Hope you enjoy these Grilled lamb chops with Salsa Verde- the most delicious Italian Herb Caper Sauce eeeeeeeever! Serve single chops as as a quick, easy appetizer or plate up 2-3 as a main course. Either way, if you are a fan of lamb, I’m very sure you will love these!
Hope you are outside somewhere beautiful enjoying your summer!!!
Simple flavorful grilled single lamb chops, topped with the most flavorful Italian style Salsa Verde ( Herb Caper Sauce) perfect for the summer entertaining- either as a appetizer, or main course. Full flavored and so easy!
- 8–12 lamb chops, frenched, cut down to a single chop.
- Olive oil for brushing
salt and pepper to taste
Italian Salsa Verde:
- 1 cup Italian parsley ( packed, tender stems ok) or sub part fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 fat garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1–2 anchovy ( optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons caper “liquid”
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Salt and pepper to taste, add chili flakes if you like.
- Preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Brush lamb chops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Make Italian Salsa Verde: place herbs, garlic, lemon zest, and optional anchovy in a food processor. Pulse repeatedly until uniformly chopped. Add lemon juice, olive oil and caper liquid. Pulse to combine ( but do not make this smooth). Scrape into bowl. Stir in capers. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the grill is hot, sear the chops for a few minutes on each side. You want good grill marks, while leaving them slightly rare inside, so a hot grill is essential.
- When cooked to the desired temperature ( 125-135F), platter or plate and serve with Italian Salsa Verde spooned over the top.
Notes: You can order your lamb already “frenched” from the butcher or meat counter to keep this simple and easy. Then, with a sharp knife, simply slice down between each bone to create a single chop about 1 inch thick.
- Serving Size: 2 lamb chops with 2 tablespoons salsa verde
- Calories: 518
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 470.5 mg
- Fat: 49 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.1 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 18.2 g
- Cholesterol: 90.4 mg
Keywords: grilled lamb chops, grilling lamb chops, grilled lamb chop recipes, how to grill lamb chops, lamb chop recipes