This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Peace is this moment without judgment. That is all. This moment in the Heart-space where everything is welcome.~Dorothy Hunt
What is Berbere?
How to make Berbere Potatoes:
More recipes with Berbere:
- Coconut Millet Bowl with Berbere Spiced Squash
- Homemade Berbere Spice Blend
- Berbere Chicken with Ethiopian Lentils
- 25 Vegan & Vegetarian Side Dishes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: side dish, vegan,
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- Diet: Vegan
Berbere Potatoes- a simple flavorful Ethiopian-inspired side dish that is healthy, delicious and vegan!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced (with juices)
- 1 tablespoon Berber spice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- `1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 lbs thin-skinned potatoes, thinly sliced (yukons, red, etc)
- a drizzle of olive oil
- 1/8 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a cast iron or oven-proof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, add the shallots and saute, stirring until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and continue cooking until they begin to break down and soften, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the Berbere spice and the water.
- Scoop out ¾ cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add the potatoes tossing to coat each side and layer them. Pour the remaining tomato mixture over top.
- Cover tightly with a lid or with foil. Bring to a hard simmer on the stovetop, then place in the oven for 30 minutes covered.
- Remove lid, checking that potatoes are fork-tender, drizzle with olive oil, bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- Scatter with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 467.9 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Berbere Potatoes, vegan potato recipe, Ethiopian potatoes, vegetable side dish, potato side dish, vegan side dish
Is there anything that can be subbed for the tomatoes in this recipe? Thank you.
Humm, great question- haven’t tried, but how roasted bell peppers, out of a jar? Maybe puree them a bit?
Easy to make and very delicious!
Thanks Renee! Glad you like these!
Delicious and really easy! I threw in some Serrano peppers I needed to use up for some heat. This is a great dish. I had the leftovers with eggs for breakfast. Very good!
Glad you liked this Lisa!