Peace is this moment without judgment. That is all. This moment in the Heart-space where everything is welcome.~Dorothy Hunt
What is Berbere?
How to make Berbere Potatoes:
More recipes with Berbere:
- Coconut Millet Bowl with Berbere Spiced Squash
- Homemade Berbere Spice Blend
- Berbere Chicken with Ethiopian Lentils
- 25 Vegan & Vegetarian Side Dishes
Berbere Potatoes- a simple flavorful Ethiopian-inspired side dish that is healthy, delicious and vegan!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced (with juices)
- 1 tablespoon Berber spice
- 3/4 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- `1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 lbs thin-skinned potatoes, thinly sliced (yukons, red, etc)
- a drizzle of olive oil
- 1/8 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a cast iron or oven-proof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, add the shallots and saute, stirring until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and continue cooking until they begin to break down and soften, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the Berbere spice and the water.
- Scoop out ¾ cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add the potatoes tossing to coat each side and layer them. Pour the remaining tomato mixture over top.
- Cover tightly with a lid or with foil. Bring to a hard simmer on the stovetop, then place in the oven for 30 minutes covered.
- Remove lid, checking that potatoes are fork-tender, drizzle with olive oil, bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- Scatter with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 467.9 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Berbere Potatoes, vegan potato recipe, Ethiopian potatoes, vegetable side dish, potato side dish, vegan side dish