Spring Pasta Salad with asparagus & mushrooms and a Lemony Parsley Dressing. Simple and delicious!
A friend stopped by with some fresh morel mushrooms the other day, and this is what became of them – a simple recipe for Spring Pasta Salad with Asparagus, Morels & Lemon Parsley Dressing. Of course, you don’t have to have morels to make this salad, most any mushroom will do, but tis’ the season.
This can be served at room temperature, or chilled to serve later. The zesty flavorful dressing is refreshing and bright and compliments spring veggies very well. Use rice noodles to make this gluten free. The salad whips up quickly and easily — perfect for your next gathering or weekday lunches. Keep it vegan or dust with Pecorino, and of course you can substitute gluten-free pasta.
These foraged morels came from a friend’s family farm on the Palouse.
Of course you can substitute other mushrooms here- shiitakes, cremini, portobellos, etc.
Cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces, discarding the tough ends. Saute these until just tender.
While the pasta is cooking and the veggies are sauteing, chop the parsley and scallions, using the entire bunch of each.
Brian likes a little pungent cheese grated over top, like Pecorino or Parmesan. I added some chili flakes to mine.
Enjoy the Spring Pasta Salad and let us know what you think in the comments below.
A flavorful Spring-inspired Pasta Salad with Spring Vegetables and a Zesty Lemon Parsley dressing.
- 8 ounces pasta ( use rice noodles to make this gluten-free)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot – finely chopped (or ⅓ cup finely chopped onion)
- 6 ounces mushrooms (morels, creminis, white button, shiitakes)
- 1 bunch asparagus: cut into 1-inch pieces – snap off tough ends. (2–3 cups)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley- chopped ( about 1 cup packed)
- 3–4 scallions, chopped
- optional 1–2 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- Place salted pasta water to boil on the stove, cook pasta according to directions.
- Finely chop the shallot and prep the mushrooms (cut the morels in half or bite-size pieces)
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat, add shallot and cook 3 minutes, until fragrant. Add mushrooms, season with salt and stir occasionally until lightly cooked about 5 minutes. Set aside and saute the asparagus, seasoning again with salt, and cook just until tender and bright green.
- Drain the pasta and place in a bowl. Top with the mushrooms, asparagus, the chopped parsley and scallions. Add the lemon zest and one tablespoon lemon juice. Add garlic, optional tarragon, olive oil, salt and pepper toss well to combine. Taste, adding more lemon juice or salt if you like.
- Add cheese if you like-keep in mind the cheese will add salt, as well.
Feel free to add other veggies: English peas, snow peas.
- Serving Size: 1 cup without cheese
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 567 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.1 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: spring pasta salad, pasta salad with asparagus, pasta salad with mushrooms, vegan pasta salad with asparagus