- 2 lbs Flank Steak (or pounded skirt steak, organic grass-fed is best)
- 1–2 large, sliced sweet onions for grilling (optional)
- 1 bunch scallions for grilling(optional)
Steak Taco Marinade:
- Juice of 1 orange ( 1/3 cup)
- Juice of 2 limes (1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar ( optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (stems ok)
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon of any or each cumin, coriander or chili powder.
- optional 1–3 teaspoons adobo sauce ( from canned chipotles) This adds a nicely smoky flavor!
- 1 bunch Cilantro or about 1 cup packed (small stems OK)
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley- about 1 cup packed (thin stems OK)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (1–2 limes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil, or more
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 of one jalapeño pepper
Simple Pico De Gallo:
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 Serrano chili, minced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Quick Pickles: ( or substitute Pickled Red Onions)
- 2 cups mix of sliced radishes, onion, or carrots, cauliflower, or whatever you like
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns or whole coriander seed
- A few sprigs of cilantro
Tortillas: 12 small tortillas. Homemade tortillas are nice! Or, try a Corn and Flour blend- my favorite!
- Steak Instructions: In a large bowl, mix together ingredients for the marinade. Place steak and onions in the bowl and toss with marinade. Let sit at room temp for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally. (Or marinate for up to 3 hours in the fridge, bringing to room temp before grilling.) Pre-heat the grill to mediump-high heat. Grease the grill. Grill steak on med-high heat to the desired doneness. I usually cook to medium-rare, 5-7 mins each side. Grill the onions and scallions untio tender and charred. A little char is good on the steak here too. Let rest for 10 minutes, covered in foil, before thinly slicing the meat across the grain.
- Chimichurri Sauce: Either chop everything finely and place all ingredients in a bowl, or alternatively place all dry ingredients in a food processor, pulsing several times until chopped. Add oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, and salt. Pulse repeatedly until combined, but not too smooth. Add more oil if you want a looser sauce. Set aside in a small serving bowl.
- Pico De Gallo Salsa: Finely dice tomato, onion, jalapeño and cilantro. Season with salt, pepper and lime. Sometimes I’ll add diced avocado and a couple splashes of Tapatio hot sauce. Place all in a bowl, mix and let sit for 15 min to 1 hour (makes 2 Cups)
- Quick Pickles: In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt and peppercorns or coriander seeds. Add your choice of sliced radishes, slivered onions, thinly sliced carrots or whatever else you like. Bring to a boil. Remove and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes (or refrigerate until cold). Remove and place in a serving bowl or jar. Top with a little fresh cilantro. Or you could make pickled red onions instead.
- Tortillas – lightly grill, until soft and pliable (or grill directly on a gas burner. flipping and turning for 30 seconds) wrap up in a towel, to prevent drying.
- Serve everything together, along with any additional garnishes.
- Vegan Option: Seared Mexican Rubbed Tofu: Use your favorite taco seasoning, or make your own using this spice rub recipe. Cut tofu into strips, coat with spice rub and sear all sides in a hot skillet with a little oil. I will often start with coating and searing one piece of tofu first,and test for salt.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
Keywords: grilled steak taco recipe, steak tacos, grilled beef tacos, chimichurri steak tacos, grilled steak tacos,