Savory Black Beans baked in a quick and easy Mexican Mole Sauce topped with queso fresco cheese (optional)- serve this as a delicious side dish for your Mexican Fiesta or as a flavorful base for healthy bowls.
- 4 1/2 –5 cups cooked black Beans (3 x 14-ounce cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese (optional)
- Cilantro for garnish
Quick Mole Sauce:
- 1/4 cup veggie broth, chicken stock or water. More for thinning.
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce (pureed tomatoes or diced tomatoes and juices)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup onion- rough diced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or sub GF Liquid Aminos)
- 1 chipotle chili ( canned in adobo sauce) plus 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano– optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cloves (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini paste, peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 ounce dark chocolate (squares or chips)
- agave or maple to taste (optional, it just depends on the chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make the Quick Mole Sauce- place broth, tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic, onion, soy sauce, chipotle, spices and salt in a blender and blend until smooth– if need be, add a little more water or broth to get the blender going. Pour into a small pot, bring to a simmer, cover ( it will splatter!) and simmer gently on low heat for 10 minutes to “cook” the onion and garlic. Stir in the tahini paste and chocolate until smooth and combined. If it seems thick add a splash of water. Taste, adjust salt, heat and sweetness to your liking using agave if you want it sweeter.
- Place the black beans (drained, rinsed, strained) in a greased ovenproof skillet or baking dish. Stir in the warm mole sauce. Season with salt (make sure to taste!) and loosen the beans with 1/2 cup water or broth. When you shake the pan, they should level out easily, if they are thick and still mounding, add a bit more water.
- Sprinkle with queso fresco cheese if you like, cover tightly with foil, and bake in a 350F oven until heated all the way through, cheese is melty, and it’s bubbling at the edges- about 25-30 minutes. Uncover for a few minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Serve as a side dish with your Mexican Fiesta or use them as a base for a hearty Mexican bowl.
To Create a Bowl:Scoop warm Mole Black beans into a bowl. Top with any of the following: Mexican Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice, Mexican Slaw, Pico de Gallo, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Avocados or Guacamole, radishes, microgreens, cilantro etc.
- Serving Size: ¾ cup
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 1169.1 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.4 g
- Fiber: 14.6 g
- Protein: 14.9 g
- Cholesterol: 7.3 mg
Keywords: Mole Blackbeans, Black beans with Mole Sauce