Tandoori Hummus – a delicious Indian twist on the classic, seasoned with garam masala spice and garlic. This Healthy homemade hummus is vegan easy to make, and has the BEST flavor! Serve with naan or pita and raita!
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 3/4 cup tahini paste ( make sure it tastes fresh, not rancid)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained ( 1 ½ cups cooked)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1–3 teaspoons garam masala spice (start with 1)
- optional: 2-3 tablespoons creamy plain yogurt ( stir in at the end)
Optional Tempering Oil:
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon each fennel seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds
- a few curry leaves (optional)
Place the lemon juice, garlic and salt in a food processor and blend until combined. Add tahini paste and water, blen until smooth. With motor running drizzle in olive oil slowly to incorporate, blending until creamy.
Add the chickpeas and blend until extra smooth, about 3-5 minutes. The hummus should be slight runny (pourable) so feel free to add a little more water if needed.
For an added creaminess, add a 2-3 tablespoons plain yogurt. ( Totally optional!)
To serve, make the optional “tempering oil”. Heat 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add fennel seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and optional curry leaves and swirl and toast until seeds just begin to pop. Turn heat off. Make a circular “well” in the hummus with the back of a spoon and pour the tempering oil into the well ( like the photos.). Scatter with fresh cilantro or pumpkin seeds for color.
This is also tasty rolled up into wraps!
Keywords: hummus recipe, tandoori hummus, indian hummus, curried hummus, masala hummus, easy hummus recipe, best hummus, homemade hummus, how to make hummus