A delicious recipe for Enchiladas Verde with corn, chicken (or black beans) and flavorful Verde Sauce ( Green Enchiladas!).
- 3 large poblano chiles, divided –save one for the Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 ears corn on the cob, shucked and kernels removed (or use 2 cups frozen )
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast or thighs – either smoked chicken, baked chicken breast, shredded chicken grilled chicken, leftover rotisserie chicken, or sub 1 can black beans (drained) for vegetarian.
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces crumbled queso fresco cheese (or use shredded Mexican cheese blend)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 8 to 10 6-inch corn/flour tortillas
Enchiladas Verde Sauce:
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, washed and quartered (leave raw!)
- 1 cup diced white onion or two shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 poblano chili- charred, peeled (from above)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 C cilantro- chopped
Garnishes: fresh cilantro, sour cream and hot sauce
- Char all sides of the 3 poblano chilis over a gas burner, a bbq …or broil or roast them in an oven. Once nicely charred, or tender, wrap in foil or paper bag and let steam for 10 minutes until softenend.
- Make the filling: In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat and add the onion. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes until tender, turn the heat down to medium and add garlic. Saute 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the corn, turn heat to medium-low and continue cooking 5 more minutes. Add diced chicken or black beans and season with salt, pepper and spices, sautéing until warmed through. Turn heat off.
- Remove poblano chilies from the foil and rinse under running water, rubbing the charred skin off with your fingers. Remove seeds and stem. Dice the chilies and add half of them to the filling, reserving the other half for the Verde sauce. Add the cilantro to the filling and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Make the Verde Sauce: Place all the Enchilada Verde Sauce ingredients except the cilantro in a blender. Yes, the tomatillos are raw here! Blend until smooth. Pour into a medium pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer 5-6 minutes. Turn heat off and stir in chopped cilantro.
- While the sauce is simmering, warm the tortillas over a stovetop gas burner using tongs, or toast in the oven or over a grill, or in a microwave. You just want to warm up them so they become pliable, to prevent breaking while rolling.
- Assemble enchiladas: In a large 9 x 13 greased baking dish, pour just enough Verde sauce sauce to lightly coat the bottom. On a warm tortilla, place 2 -3 Tablespoons cheese in a line down the center. Top with a ⅓ cup of filling. Roll tightly, placing it seam side down in the baking dish right on top of the sauce. Continue assembling the enchiladas until the baking dish is full. You should have 8 enchiladas.
- You can either make another smaller dish with 4 enchiladas or surround the sides of the 8 enchiladas with the remaining filling (Or save the filling for quesadillas or tacos!) Smother the tops with the remaining poblano sauce, sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for another 10-15 minutes longer until cheese has melted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, fresh cilantro and hot sauce.
Keywords: green enchiladas, enchiladas verde, verde enchiladas enchiladas with poblano sauce, black bean enchiladas, enchiladas with greens sauce, poblano sauce recipe