Quick and flavorful Baked Chicken Shawarma can made with either chicken or tofu (or both!). Turn it into healthy Shawarma Bowls, then repurpose into Shawarma Wraps. Vegan and gluten free-adaptable!
- 1– 1 ½ pounds chicken ( breast or thigh) or tofu or a mix of both ( like 1 pound chicken and 8 ounces tofu)
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper- optional
- 1 cauliflower – optional see notes
Quick Shawarma Marinade:
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic ( or two cloves, finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 x 10-12 inch wraps or pita bread
- Cucumber, radish, or tomato, Everyday Kale Slaw or Isreali Salad or greens like arugula or spinach
Shawarma Bowl Options:
- cooked grain ( rice, quinoa, barley) or roasted, “riced” cauliflower ( see notes)
- roasted cauliflower or other roasted veggies
Preheat oven to 400 F
Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
On a large parchment lined sheet-pan, place chicken breasts, tofu filets, and any vegetables that you want to use. Brush the chicken and tofu very liberally with marinade. For the other veggies, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little lemon zest is nice. 🙂 Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
If making a grain bowl, cook the grains now. You could also roast “riced” cauliflower at the same time, on another sheet pan. Season it with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest, perhaps some cumin – toss it every 10 minutes or so until cooked with a few nice crispy bits.
Check chicken after 20 minutes ( breast will cook faster). Toss veggies, and cook until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Tofu takes 30 minutes to get a nice crust.
Prepare for happy mouths.
Keywords: baked chicken shawarma, chicken shawarma oven, oven chicken shawarma, tofu shawarma, chicken shawarma recipe, chicken shawarma baked, sheet pan chicken shawarma