Roasted Portobello Mushrooms with Walnut Coffee Sauce- a vegan main, like “steaks and gravy”, quick, easy and flavorful!
- 4 extra large portobello mushrooms ( try your hand at Smoked Mushrooms!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- generous pinch salt and pepper
Walnut Coffee Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 extra large shallots, rough diced ( about ¾– 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 cup walnuts ( raw)
- 1 ¼ cup black coffee ( cold or decaf is ok) or sub broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon miso ( or sub GF liquid aminos )
- 1 teaspoon balsamic
Preheat oven to 400F
Mix oil and vinegar in a small bowl and brush the portobellos on both sides with this. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place gills side down, on a parchment lined sheet pan. Bake for 20 -25 minutes until tender. Wrap in foil until ready to use.
While the portobellos are roasting make the sauce.
Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat. Saute the shallots and garlic until fragrant and tender, about 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the walnuts and stir for 2 minutes. Add the coffee, scraping up any brown bits. Pour all into a blender, add the salt, pepper, miso paste, balsamic and blend for a while, until silky smooth. Place the sauce back in the pan and heat up gently right before plating.
Keywords: roasted portobello mushrooms, how to roast portobello mushrooms, vegan gravy, baked portobello mushrooms, walnut sauce, coffee walnut sauce, portobello steaks how to roast portobello mushrooms