How to make homemade Labneh from scratch- a creamy Middle Eastern yogurt cheese ( or dip). A tasty appetizer, dip, or spread.
- 32 ounces plain, full-fat yogurt (4 cups yogurt makes 2 cups labneh)
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
Optional additions: splash lemon juice (for extra tang), lemon zest, fresh or dried herbs, garlic, finely minced
- Stir salt into the yogurt, right in the container, mixing well.
- Place 3 layers of cheesecloth or a thin kitchen towel inside a large fine-mesh strainer over a medium bowl.
- Pour the salted yogurt into the cheesecloth or towel. Gather the towel corners together, twist to close and set a canned good, overtop, for weight. Set the bowl and strainer in the fridge or cool place in your kitchen for 24 hours. Save the whey (setting it aside) and check the consistency.
- If using as a dip, I find 24 hours is enough time. If you want a thicker cheese-like consistency (like cream cheese) feel free to strain for another 24 hours.
- To make the dip, spread out the labneh into a shallow bowl or plate ( you should have about 2 cups). Make a well in the center with the back of a spoon for the olive oil. Drizzle with olive oil and add fresh herbs and sprinkle with spices. Add any additional toppings you like olives, pinenuts, tomatoes… have fun with it!
- Serve with bread, pita bread, crackers
- If going the sweet route, skip the oil, add a drizzle of warm honey and add fresh roasted fruit (figs, grapes, plums, etc) sprinkle with chia seeds – really nice for dessert, or for a brunch affair ( with muffins, scones or morning breads.)
Allow 24-48 hours “straining” time.
Labneh will keep up to 3 weeks in the fridge.
The strained liquid, called whey can be used to make our Beet Kvass! I always make this at the same time!
Optional Labneh Dip Toppings:
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 330.4 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 10.2 g
- Cholesterol: 14.7 mg
Keywords: how to make labneh, labneh recipe, what is labneh, homemade labneh