How to prepare and saute fresh fava beans! This delicious spring-inspired side dish features fresh fava beans, shallots, mint and lemon.
- Shuck the fava beans.
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the fava beans for 15- 20 seconds, then drain and place in ice water.
- Remove the tough outer peel of the large and medium-sized fava beans, leaving the tiny beans as they are. You will end up with roughly 2 cups. (Allow 20 minutes for this) Tip: you could do this ahead and refrigerate until close to serving time.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, over medium heat. Add the shallot and pepper and saute 3-4 mins, lowering heat to medium-low- cooking until shallots are tender and golden.
- Add the fava beans and saute 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to gentle simmer for 3-4 minutes, until fava beans are just tender. Season with lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt to taste. Balance the lemon and salt to your liking.
- Finish the dish with freshly torn mint leaves and shaved cheese.
- Serve warm or at room temp.
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 924.9 mg
- Fat: 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.7 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 5.4 mg
Keywords: fava bean recipe, fava beans, how to cook fava beans, how to prepare fava beans