This North African Chickpea and Carrot Stew is hearty and flavorful – perfect for fall and winter. Serve with crusty bread or serve over cous cous. Vegan adaptable.
- 3 tablepoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch thick half moons (and their tops, chopped -tops are optional)
- 6 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or sage (or sub a couple bay leaves)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric ( or use freshly grated )
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 medium tomatoes- diced
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups veggie broth or chicken stock
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas ( pre-cook 1 1/5 cups dried- or 3 cans,drained)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, chopped into 1–2 inch ribbons.
- 1 cup carrot tops, optional, chopped
- Garnish with- a drizzle of olive oil, or a swirl of plain greek yogurt ( or sour cream, or labneh ) and a drizzle of Harissa Paste.
Quick harissa paste
- In a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, and saute 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Lower heat to medium, add the carrots and garlic, thyme and salt and pepper and sauté 6-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, fennel seeds and tomato paste, and saute until the paste darkens about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and wine. Bring to a boil, scraping up the brown bits. Reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth or stock.
- Add the chickpeas, kale and carrot tops, bring to a simmer, and simmer on med-low heat 10-15 minutes.
- Taste for salt, adjust and add more if necessary.
- Swirl a teaspoon of harissa paste at a time for added flavor ( Alternatively, you could add it to individual bowls)
- To serve, divide among bowls and either drizzle with olive oil, or swirl in yogurt, and a little more harissa to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
- To make the Quick Harissa Paste– Place oil and vinegar in a blender, then gradually add spices, salt and garlic until all is blended well. Store in a jar in the fridge- up to 2 weeks. Makes ¾ cup.
- This smoky spicy earthy North African Harissa pasta has a multitude of uses! Use it as a flavorful marinade for meat and fish OR spoon into soups for an instant boost of flavor. Swirl a little Harissa Sauce into plain yogurt to make a “smoky yogurt sauce” that can be drizzled over your next grain bowl, pita sandwich or soup. Swirl it into sour cream for tacos or enchiladas. Add it to mayo and create a Harissa Aioli- a flavorful boost for sandwiches, burgers and fish. Also delicious tossed with baked sweet potato wedges and yummy drizzled over poached eggs…..endless possibilities!
Keywords: Chickpea Stew, Tunisian stew, Chickpea carrot stew, chickpea soup, carrot chickpea stew, Tunisian chickpea stew