This recipe for Thai Fish Curry with Coconut Milk is brimming with seasonal veggies and bursting with delicious Thai flavors. A quick and easy dinner, perfect for both weeknights and special occasions.
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds firm white fish- Halibut, Alaskan Cod, haddock, Black Cod, Sea Bass (thicker cuts are best)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- one lime- zest and juice
Coconut Thai Curry Sauce:
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 2 large shallots or 1 small onion- finely diced ( red, white or yellow)
- 4–6 garlic cloves
- 1– 2 fresh hot chilies- finely diced ( jalapeno, serrano, red chili)
- 3 tablespoons lemongrass, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons turmeric root, grated (or sub 1 teaspoon ground)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1–3 tablespoons Thai Curry Paste (optional) red, green, or yellow
- 2 cups chicken or fish stock
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups carrots, diced (or sub potatoes)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk ( liquid and solids)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- squeeze of lime
- 2 cups green beans, or asparagus, snap peas or snow peas
- ½ cup chopped basil, (Thai basil is great!) cilantro, scallions
Cut the fish into large 2-inch chunks, pat dry and place in a bowl. Season with salt, lime zest from one lime and 1 tablespoon lime juice, and massage lightly to coat. Set aside.
In an extra-large saute pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, lemongrass and fresh chilies. Saute 3-4 more minutes, until fragrant. Turn heat to low. Grate the ginger and turmeric and add the Thai Curry paste if using, saute 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, kaffir lime leaves , salt, carrots and bell pepper. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer gently for 5 minutes until the carrots are tender.
Taste it- coconut broth should be salty, lime-y and a little spicy- and adjust to your taste. Add more fish sauce, Thai Curry paste, garlic chili paste, be bold here -keeping in mind all the flavors will mellow out with the addition of the fish, veggies and with it being served over rice.
Nestle in the fish, and quick cooking veggies. Simmer gently over medium low heat, spooning the coconut broth over the top, or turning the fish over after the bottom half is cooked and becomes opaque, about 3 -4 minutes. You can also place this in a warm 350F oven to fish cooking.
Garnish with basil or Thai basil, or cilantro and lime wedges.
Serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
Leftovers will keep up to 3 days in the fridge.
Keywords: Thai fish Curry, recipe for Thai fish curry, Thai fish curry with coconut milk, Thai fish curry red, Thai fish curry green, Thai fish curry yellow