Delicious and healthy Sushi Burrito filled with brown rice, veggies, kimchi and your choice of ahi, tofu or smoked salmon. GF and Vegan adaptable.
SUSHI RICE ( makes 2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup sushi rice, rinsed 5 times ( if using brown rice see notes)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mirin
1 Sushi Burrito
- 2 nori sheets ( seaweed)
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice
- 1–2 teaspoon chili sauce or sriracha sauce
- ½ cup match stick carrots ( or strips of cucumber, bell pepper, cabbage or daikon)
- ½ an avocado, sliced
- 3–4 ounces ahi tura, smoked salmon or baked tofu ( Trader Joe’s Sriracha Baked Tofu is good)
- ¼ cup kimchi ( or pickled veggies or pickled ginger)
- ⅛ cup fresh cilantro or scallions
- If you like creaminess, add a squirt of sriracha mayo or this vegan Mexican Chipotle Sauce
Make rice. Rinse and drain the rice and place in a small pot on the stove with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and immediately cover, then simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and do not open the lid. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Place it in a bowl and spread it out. Add the remaining ingredients, gently incorporating with a wood spoon, being careful not to break the rice. Rice is ready when it has cooled to body temperature.
Attach two sheets of nori together wetting one inch of one side with water- keeping rough sides up. See photos. You will have one long sheet.
Spread 1 cup sushi rice evenly all the way to the side edges, leaving about 1 inch in front. ( see photos).
Spread rice with the chili paste.
Layer carrots, avocado, kimchi ( drain it first) , ahi ( or alternative), cilantro and the creamy sauce if using, in the center of the rice. Gently roll it up, wetting the last inch of the nori ( with water) to seal. Place on a paper towel seam side down. Let sit one minute, then cut in half.
If packing for lunch, wrap it up in a paper towel, then wrap in foil or plastic.
If subbing brown rice, cook according to directions, then season the same.