Crispy Herbed Smashed Potatoes with Garlic – a healthy vegan side perfect for breakfast or dinner! Best to steam potatoes ahead, and let cool in the fridge.
- Place whole potatoes in a large pot and cover with an inch of salted water. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer until fork-tender, 20-30 minutes, depending on size. You want these fairly tender, so they are easy to smash. Drain, let cool. You can do this the night before or few days before and store in the fridge. FYI Chilling potatoes after cooking actually increases health benefits (see post).
- When ready to fry, heat oven to 400F (to keep the potatoes warm)
- Smash the potatoes until relatively flattened, about 3/4 inch thick, using a potato masher or bottom of a skillet, set aside.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the smashed garlic cloves and swirl the oil around, until fragrant and garlic is golden. Add the herbs, and cook for 45-60 seconds, infusing the oil. Set both aside, saving for the garnish at the end.
- Season the fragrant rosemary garlic oil in the pan, with salt and pepper, and swirl.
- Add the smashed potatoes, working in batches, leaving room to maneuver. Season the top of them with salt and pepper. Fry each side of the potatoes until crispy and deeply golden, about 5-7 minutes, resisting the urge to fiddle too much so they get nice and crispy. Add more oil if you need it when you flip.
- Keep the first batch warm in the oven, while doing the second batch. When done, pile them up in the skillet.
- Chop up the caramelized garlic cloves sprinkling along with the herbs over the potatoes.
- Add chili flakes if you like and serve.
- Serving Size: 5 ounces
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 619.9 mg
- Fat: 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: smashed potatoes, crispy potatoes, herby smashed potatoes, smashed potatoes with garlic, easy smashed potatoes