These flavorful Italian Meatballs are chock full of fresh herbs and savory goodness. Fast and easy they can be made in 30 minutes. Serve them with zucchini noodles, roasted spaghetti squash, pasta, creamy polenta or in a roll. Low-carb, keto and gluten-free.
- 1/4 cup walnuts lightly toasted and ground (or use a 1/2 cup bread crumbs. See notes.)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2–3 teaspoons mixed fresh rosemary, thyme, and oregano, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 batch of Fast & Easy Marinara or Simple Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce (or sub 1 jar of store-bought Marinara Sauce)
- Prepare the sauce- Fast & Easy Marinara or Simple Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce.
- In a bowl mix together walnuts, parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, egg, and dijon.
- Gently mix in ground beef until just combined. Do not over mix, this can toughen the meat.
- Roll into balls, a generous 1 oz meatball -yields about 13-16. Pan sear in a preheated skillet over medium-high heat, with just a light coating of oil, until most sides are browned. The goal is just to brown the outside of the meatballs they will finish cooking as they simmer in the sauce.
- Place the browned meatballs in the sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes. An instant-read thermometer is helpful here. Internal temperature should be 160 to assure they are done but not overcooked.
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 450.8 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.6 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 22.2 g
- Cholesterol: 91.4 mg
Keywords: italian meatballs, keto meatballs, gluten free meatballs, low carb meatballs, meatballs in tomato sauce