Skillet Huevos Rancheros – a healthy vegetarian version of one of our favorite Mexican-style breakfasts! Eggs are baked over flavorful beans & crispy tortillas, then topped with avocado, fresh tomato and cilantro…a simple healthy vegetarian brunch recipe!
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion- diced
- 3 garlic cloves- minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (or sub pico de gallo)
- 1 can rinsed beans ( black bean, pinto, cannellini, or heirloom beans) about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- Four 6-inch tortillas ( I use a corn and flour blend)
- olive oil for brushing
- 4 eggs (1 egg per serving -you can add more if you want)
- optional: 1/2 cup crumbled cotija, queso fresco, feta or goat cheese (optional)
- Garnishes: 1 large avocado-sliced, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro,lime wedges, sour cream, Hot Sauce,Pico de gallo
- Optional Additions: bell pepper, kale, zucchini, mushrooms, see notes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes (at this point, if you are adding other veggies, do this now, cooking until tender). Add garlic, sauté for a minute or two. Add 1/2 of the diced tomatoes (saving half for garnish) and beans, spices, salt, and 2 tablespoons water. Let simmer on med-low until tomatoes break down a bit, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, keeping them nice and warm. Taste and adjust spices and salt to taste.
- Brush cast-iron skillets (or one large skillet) with olive oil, coating the edges too. Lay tortillas down and brush tops of tortillas with a little olive oil.
- Divide the warm bean mixture, making little indentations with the back of a spoon, for the eggs to rest in, so they stay in place. (If using a large skillet, layer the tortillas so they come up the sides of the skillet a bit -you may need a couple extra), and spread all of the beans evenly over the tortillas, making indentations for the eggs).
- Carefully break the eggs and place them in the indentations. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper, and if you want, crumbled cheese, and place in the hot oven to bake.
- Check after 10-12 minutes. Continue cooking until egg whites are white and yolks are to your desired doneness ( another 5-10 minutes). Baking will go faster depending on how hot the beans are.
- Serve with avocado, lime, sour cream, cilantro, hot sauce, and fresh tomatoes.
Make sure to keep the beans warm until assembly time and placing in the oven.
Feel free to add other veggies to the mix sauteing with the onion and garlic. Or stir in a handful of chopped spinach to the warm beans.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 411
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 811.5 mg
- Fat: 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9 g
- Fiber: 12.9 g
- Protein: 18.1 g
- Cholesterol: 201 mg
Keywords: Huevos Rancheros Recipe, Vegetarian Brunch Recipes, Vegetarian Huevos Rancheros, Skillet eggs, Baked eggs,