Here’s a easy recipe for Crispy Tofu that can be made on the stovetop in 20 minutes with just 3 ingredients. You’ll find a million uses for this crispy tofu and fun ways to season it – adding it to meals you are already making!
- BLOT: Place the block of tofu on a kitchen towel or paper towels, and bring up the sides, wrapping it up and pressing gently. (FYI: weighting or pressing all the liquid out will make it chewy. So just lightly press.)
- Cut into cubes, again, pat gently with paper towels. It may still feel damp, it’s ok. 🙂
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and season the oil in the skillet– generously with salt and pepper (not the tofu).
- SEAR: Carefully place each piece of tofu in the oil – don’t just throw it in, it will splatter. Season the top with a little salt and pepper.
- TURN: Let the tofu crisp up before turning. (Tofu likes to stick, but once it crisps, it will naturally contract and release itself from the pan. If it is sticking, it is not ready to turn. ) Give the pan a good shake to test. Using a metal spatula turn over. Sear most sides until golden. Or just sear two sides for less oil.
- Place on a paper towel-line plate until ready to use (or keep warm in an oven- don’t stack, single layer is best to retain crispiness.)
Place tofu in the hot oil seasoned with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with any of the following. Start with 1/2 teaspoon of each, add more to taste. Flip tofu, then season the other side, flip one more time to coat.
- Mexican: chili powder , smoked paprika, and cumin.
- Indian: Yellow curry powder & turmeric (or Garam Masala).
- Middle Eastern: Zaatar.
- Moroccan: Ras El hanout
- Chinese: 5 Spice Blend
- Cajun Seasoning
- Granulated garlic or onion powder
If tofu tastes “bland” it needs more salt. Remember to season the oil in the pan generously.
Keywords: crispy tofu, crispy tofu recipe, how to make crispy tofu, easy tofu recipe, how to cook tofu, crispy tofu recipes