Cobb Salad is a perfect meal for warm weather days. A fresh, crunchy, and delicious protein rich dinner with a flavorful red wine vinaigrette. Vegan adaptable.
Cobb Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large romaine lettuce, cleaned & chopped
- 12 ounces of cooked chicken breast, cut or torn into bite-sized pieces. (Use grilled chicken, baked chicken or poached chicken; or grilled tofu, or baked tofu, or chickpeas or kidney beans)
- 6 ounces tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup pickled shallots
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut bacon (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives for garnish plus fresh oregano if desired
- optional: a handful of microgreens ( radish sprouts are nice) or watercress, chopped
- Make the Pickled Shallots– if using. These can be made ahead, or sub-pickled onions.
- Dressing: Whisk together the red wine vinegar, minced garlic, dijon, oregano, chives, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil in slowly, emulsifying with the vinegar mixture.
- Assemble the salad: by tossing the lettuce with a little dressing. Place the dressed greens in individual bowls or one shallow platter. Layer on ingredients: watercress, chicken (or other protein), tomatoes, cucumber, shallots, avocado, blue cheese and boiled eggs. Drizzle with more dressing and sprinkle with bacon, fresh chives, fresh oregano, microgreens, and fresh ground pepper.
- Serve with the leftover dressing on the table so everyone can add more if desired. Most likely, you will have some leftovers (will keep up to 1 week in the fridge).
We love coconut bacon on just about everything. But of course go with what you love whether it be real bacon, turkey bacon, tempeh bacon or vegan bacon!
How to make Coconut Bacon: 1 cup wide raw coconut flakes, 1 tablespoon smoked soy sauce (or soy sauce or braggs + 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke), 1 teaspoon maple syrup (Optional: 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper). Mix together until coconut is completely coated. Bake in preheated oven at 325 F for about 6-9 minutes or until golden. It will crisp up as it cools.
For easier prep, make the pickled shallots, grilled chicken and dressing a day or two ahead.
- Serving Size: Large Entree Salad
- Calories: 461
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 635.8 mg
- Fat: 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
- Fiber: 9.4 g
- Protein: 17.8 g
- Cholesterol: 31.6 mg
Keywords: Cobb Salad, Cobb Salad Recipe, Healthy Cobb Salad, Vegetarian Cobb Salad, Vegan Cob Salad, chicken cobb, tofu cobb salad,