An authentic and delicious recipe for Indian Chicken Biryani and a flavorful Cilantro Yogurt Sauce. Perfect for a Sunday dinner. Go here for a vegetarian option!
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 smashed cardamom pods
- 1 extra large onion (1 lb) diced
- 1 cup yogurt (don’t use low or no-fat)
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 2-inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3–4 sliced green chilis (split lengthwise)
- 1 lb diced tomatoes (3 medium tomatoes)
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 pounds chicken thigh meat (either boneless skinless, or bone-in, skin on) cut into pieces, salted. or substitute chickpeas, 3 cans rinsed and drained.
- 3 cups washed Basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup cashews
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and Cilantro Coconut Yogurt Sauce:
Cilantro Coconut Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup yogurt
- ¼ cup flaked coconut or fresh grated coconut ( see above)
- 4 green chilis
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
Tempering oil for Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- In a large dutch oven (one that has a tight-fitting lid) melt ghee over medium-high heat. Add cinnamon, cloves, crushed cardamom pods and diced onion. Saute 2 minutes and turn heat down to medium, stirring occasionally.
- Place yogurt, cilantro, mint, ginger and garlic into the blender and blend, adding a little bit of water to get blender going, if necessary. Set aside.
- Add dry spices and salt to the pan with the onion- turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili powder and salt. Stir for a minute or two, then pour in the yogurt mixture from the blender. Add the tomatoes and the split chilies. Cook over medium-low heat about 10 -15 minutes, or until oil separates.
- Cut and salt the chicken, and add it to the pot, and continuing cooking, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes, until chicken begins to brown and becomes tender. Slowly stir in ¼ cup oil.
- Add the washed Basmati rice and the water. Double-check you’ve added the salt.
- Stir just a bit. Bring to a boil. Continue simmering over medium heat, uncovered until most of the water has evaporated. Be patient. Once it looks like the photo above its ready to cover.
- Lower the heat to lowest setting.
- Cover pot with a moist cloth, place the lid over top, bringing the corners of the cloth towards the lid handle ( to prevent a fire). Cook on the lowest heat 40 minutes -1 hour or until the rice is tender.
- Make the Cilantro Coconut Yogurt Sauce: Place the yogurt, coconut, chilies, cilantro, ginger and salt in a blender and blend. Place in a bowl and make the finishing oil.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil, and add the spices. When the mustard seeds begin popping, after 30 seconds or so, pour over the yogurt sauce.
- The Chicken Biriyani is done when the rice is tender. Once tender, give a stir, and adjust the salt, adding more if necessary. Serve with the yogurt sauce on the side and fresh cilantro leaves.
Keywords: chicken biryani, best chicken biryani, authentic chicken biryani