A quick and easy dinner idea, Baked Enchilada Beans are made with homemade, 5-minute enchilada sauce and Mexican cheese, baked in the oven until warm and melty. Turn them into burrito bowls for a delicious healthy dinner!
- 3 x 14-ounce cans pinto beans, drained (4 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans)
- 1 ½ cups Enchilada Sauce -make this 5-minute Enchilada sauce for the best flavor!
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano – or sub 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups melty cheese- crumbled queso fresco, Oaxacan string cheese, shredded jack, mozzarella, Mexican cheese blend, or meltable vegan cheese.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 350F
- If making yellow rice, start this first (see notes).
- Make our 5-Minute Enchilada Sauce. (You could do this up to 4 days ahead)
- Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish, 10-inch cast iron skillet, or 10-inch round cazuela with spray olive oil. Place the drained beans in the pan and stir with the enchilada sauce. You want roughly 1/2 cup enchilada sauce per 1 1/2 cups of beans- so quite saucy. Taste for salt and add more if needed. Stir in the oregano. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered on the middle rack of the oven until the beans are heated through, and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- To create the bowl, first, spoon the rice in the bowl, add the saucy beans, and arrange the fresh ingredients over top. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce.
Yellow rice: Rinse 2 cups of basmati or jasmine rice. In a medium pot, bring 3 cups of chicken stock or veggie broth to a simmer. Whisk in 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. Add rinsed, drained rice, stir, bring to a rapid boil, cover, lower heat to low. Simmer covered for 15-20 minutes, until water has been absorbed. Turn the heat off, let stand 10 minutes.
Enchilada Sauce– while you can use store-bought enchilada sauce- I feel our homemade sauce (with a little chipotle) truly elevates this dish.
- Serving Size: ¾ cups beans
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 634.5 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.2 g
- Fiber: 12.6 g
- Protein: 15.1 g
- Cholesterol: 4.8 mg
Keywords: enchilada beans, baked mexican beans, baked pinto beans, enchilada beans, enchilada bowls, burrito bowls