Baja Battered Fish (or shrimp or tofu!)
- 1 lb wild cod (or raw peeled shrimp, or cubed tofu)
- 1/2 cup AP flour, spooned and leveled (or GF flour blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 cup oil for frying (high heat oil)
Baja Bowl Ingredients: ( pick out a few out, you don’t need to use all!)
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Mexican Pinto Beans
- Canned seasoned Black beans
- Mexican Slaw
- Chipotle Mayo or Creamy Avocado Sauce
- Pickled red onions
- Fresh veggies: sliced radishes, sliced cucumber, cilantro, green onions, grated carrots, sprouts or avocado, Limes!
- Crumbled Queso fresco cheese (optional)
- Hot sauce
- Prepare any of the Baja Bowl Ingredients you want. (It is best to do this ahead)
- Cut fish into four 4-ounce pieces. Pat dry.
- Make the Batter: Pour 1/2 cup beer into a medium bowl. Whisk in the all spices and salt. Slowly whisk in the flour. If you’d like a looser or thinner batter, add a little more beer. Place the fish in the batter coating all sides.
- Fry: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, until very hot, smoking hot (350 F) or sizzles when you drop a little batter in. Carefully place the battered fish in the oil, watching out for splatter. Cook 3 minutes or until fish naturally releases from the pan (it will release when crispy and golden) then carefully turn it over. Lower heat to LOW. Cook until this side is golden, crispy and fish is cooked through, another 3-5 minutes. Place on a paper towel lined plate, to blot the oil while you plate up the bowls. (You could also keep these on a wire rack in a 300 F oven, until ready to serve, so they stay crispy.)
- Create the base of the bowls with warm beans or rice or both, add veggies, avocado and/or slaw. Top with fish. Serve with limes and chipotle Mayo or hot sauce.
Cooking times and nutrition info are for the fish only.
Feel free to serve in tacos instead, cutting fish into 1-inch thick strips.
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 428.7 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 21.7 g
- Cholesterol: 52.1 mg
Keywords: baja taco bowls, Baja Fish Tacos, beer battered fish, beer battered cod, Mexican battered fish