A fast and healthy dinner -Zucchini, Corn and Basil Stir-Fry topped with your choice of shrimp, tofu or chicken. Simple and adaptable. Vegan, Gluten-free!
- 8 ounces tofu, shrimp, chicken breast or chicken sausage
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
- generous pinch salt and pepper
- ½ cup red onion, or 2 shallots
- 4 cups zucchini or summer squash, sliced into half moons or quarter moons, a ½ inch thick. ( about 3 medium sized squash)
- 2 cloves garlic- rough chopped
- 1 ear of corn, kernels sliced off ( or sub a fresh red bell pepper, diced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh torn basil or basil ribbons
- aleppo chili flakes (optional)
Heat oil in an extra large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Season the oil with generous pinch of salt and pepper and sear the tofu ( cubed), shrimp or chicken ( diced), turning heat down to medium if necessary, and cook until all sides are seared and cooked to your liking. Set aside.
To the same skillet, add a bit more oil if necessary and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion. Saute for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add zucchini. Continue cooking, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until zucchini begins to turn golden.
Add garlic and corn, cook 2 more minutes, stirring. Add another pinch salt and pepper.
Cover the skillet, turn heat down to medium, and let it steam for 3-4 minutes. Check with a fork for doneness. When Zucchini is nicely golden and tender, add basil, taste and adjust salt.
Add optional chili flakes. Either add the protein ( tofu, shrimp, chicken) back into the skillet and incorporate, or divide veggie mixture among 2 bowls and top with protein.
Keywords: vegan stir-fry, healthy stir fry recipe, vegan stir-fry recipe, stir-fried tofu, stir-fried shrimp, vegan dinner recipes, corn stir fry