Vietnamese Vermicelli Noodle Bowl w/ lemongrass chicken (or shrimp or tofu) served over rice vermicelli noodles, with veggies and herbs & flavorful Vietnamese dressing, called Nuoc Cham.
- 1 –1 1/4 lbs chicken thighs (boneless, skinless), tofu or large prawns
Vietnamese Lemongrass Marinade
- ½ cup finely chopped lemongrass ( 3 stalks- white part)
- ½ cup shallots, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground Chinese five spice
- ¼ cup peanut or olive oil
- 8 oz vermicelli rice noodles, cooked and cooled
- 1 Red Bell pepper -sliced into thin strips
- 1 English cucumber, halved and sliced, or cut into ribbons.
- 1 daikon radish- grated or cut into matchsticks (or sub regular radish)
- generous handful of fresh basil and mint leaves (Thai basil is great here)
- optional additions: cilantro crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, microgreens
Nuoc Cham Dressing:
Make the marinade: Chop lemongrass into thin slices and place in a food processor and pulse repeatedly until very finely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients- shallot, garlic, salt, sugar, five spice, and pulse until very finely chopped, add the oil and pulse to create a paste.
Massage the chicken thighs ( coat tofu or shrimp) with the marinade. Let marinate 30 minutes, several hours or up to 48 hours for the most flavor!
Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water. Or if you prefer your noodles warm, rinse with hot water.
Prep all the Veggies: slice the bell pepper, cucumber, and daikon radishes.
Grill Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken until deep grill marks appear, lower the heat, and cook all the way through. Place in a warm oven until ready to use. Slice. Alternatively, you can cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and cook on a grill pan.
Assemble bowls. Place cooked noodles, fresh veggies, fresh herbs, grilled chicken, grouped together in a wide bowl, and spoon a little of the dressing over the noodles and veggies. Enjoy!!
Feel free to sub tofu or shrimp for the chicken, grilling on a grill pan.
This can be served warm or chilled- I prefer everything chilled, except the chicken, served hot. 🙂
Keywords: vietnamese noodles, vermicelli noodles, vietnamese noodle bowl, vietnamese noodle salad, vietnamese lemongrass noodles, lemongrass noodle salad