Vietnamese Vermicelli Bowl w/ lemongrass chicken (or tofu) served over rice vermicelli noodles, w/ veggies and basil & flavorful Vietnamese dressing, called Nuoc Cham.
- 1 ½ lbs chicken, tofu or large prawns
- ½ cup finely chopped lemongrass ( 3 stalks- white part)
- ½ cup onion or shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground Chinese five spice
- ¼ Cup oil
- 8 oz vermicelli rice noodles, cooked.
- 1 Red Bell pepper -sliced into strips
- 1 English cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1 daikon radish- grated or cut into matchsticks
- generous handful of fresh basil or mint leaves
- ¼ Cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tble fish sauce ( or make vegan fish sauce…)
- 2 Tble water
- 1 Tble sugar
- 1 red chile- medium spicy
- Cut chicken or tofu into long strips ( if grilling) or bite sized pieces if cooking in a skillet or grill pan. Make the marinade. Place lemongrass in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped….see photo. Add the remaining ingredients- onion, garlic, salt, sugar, five spice, and pulse until finely chopped. Place mixture in a bowl, stir in oil and chicken. Let marinate 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Boil noodles (read package directions- normally boil for 2-3 minutes.) Drain, rinse with cold water. Or if you prefer your noodles warm, rinse with hot water. Prep Veggies. Make Dressing- mix lime juice, fish sauce, water, sugar and a few sliced chilies in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pre heat grill. Grill Chicken (or use a grill pan or skillet on the stove) and cook on medium heat until cooked through. Place in a warm oven until ready to use.
- Assemble bowls. Place noodles, veggies, fresh herbs, grilled chicken, grouped together in a bowl, Spoon a little dressing over the noodles and veggies. Enjoy!!
- Calories: 322
Keywords: vietnamese noodles, vermicelli noodles, vietnamese noodle bowl, vietnamese noodle salad, vietnamese lemongrass noodles, lemongrass noodle salad