Vegan Tofu Scramble – loaded up with healthy seasonal veggies that you already have on hand. This vegan breakfast can be made in 15 minutes flat! Healthy, Fast, delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ of an onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves ( rough chopped ) or use powder ( add with the turmeric)
- 2–3 cups chopped veggies – use “saute-able” veggies like – asparagus, snow peas, mushrooms, shredded cabbage, chard, kale, bell pepper, zucchini, carrots… you get the idea. Use what you have.
- 8 ounces tofu, blotted with paper towels, and either cut into cubes, or crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼–½ teaspoon turmeric – optional ( see notes)
- very small splash soy sauce or Bragg’s liquid amino acid
- additional toppings- fresh herbs or scallions, sprouts, avocado, sriracha, seeds – sunflower, hemp, pumpkin seeds – all optional.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion 2 minutes over medium high heat, then turn heat to medium add garlic and other veggies. Lightly salt. Sauté until al dente, turning heat down if necessary and/or covering.
Once veggies are just tender, make a well in the center of the pan and add the tofu, and saute it back at medium heat. If the tofu sticks – instead of adding more oil- try letting it form a golden crust, before trying to flip it, and use a metal spatula. (When something “browns” in a pan, it will naturally detach from the pan.)
Season tofu with salt, pepper and turmeric. When tofu is starting to have some crispy edges, fold it into the veggies, and taste. If it tastes bland, it most likely needs a little salt and I like to add a very tiny drizzle of Bragg’s liquid aminos or soy sauce. ( Use a light hand).
Many people like to add nutritional yeast for a rich, cheesy flavor- so feel free to add teaspoon or two if so inclined.
The turmeric is optional, but I like the color it gives the tofu and hint of flavor. You could try a mexican style seasoning, or other spice blends. Or keep it really simple, up to you.
Some Veggie Combos: Asparagus & Mushroom | Bell pepper & zucchini & cilantro | Brussel or kale Slaw & Mushrooms & Sage | Purple cabbage Slaw & matchstick carrots| Corn and Zucchini & basil |
Keywords: vegan breakfast, vegan tofu scramble, tofu scramble, vegan scramble, vegan breakfast recipes