Marinade and Peanut Sauce:
- ¼–1/3 cup fresh orange juice (roughly 1 orange)
- 2 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, agave or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or sub almond butter!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Burrito Ingredients: (makes 4 large)
- 16-ounce block tofu (extra firm), cut into 12 strips, see photos.
- 1–2 cups cooked rice- brown rice, black rice, etc.
- 14-ounce can refried black beans, seasoned with chile paste or sriracha.
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (or finely sliced)
- 1 cup shredded carrots ( or match stick)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves or Thai basil
- 4 extra-large, whole grain tortillas, warmed until pliable.
- optional: crushed roasted peanuts, or Peanut Chili Crunch
Preheat oven to 425.
TOFU PREP: Blot the tofu gently, and cut into 6 slices (see photo), then cut each slice into two, to make 12 strips. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Brush all sides liberally with the peanut sauce, spooning a little extra over the tops. Bake 25-30 minutes. Save the remaining sauce for the burritos.
COOK RICE: The fastest way to make rice is using the pasta method. Boil 1/2 cup rice in 4-5 cups salted water, uncovered, drain when tender, using a strainer, letting stand in the strainer 5 mins. Fluff.
Prep the veggies and herbs: cut and place them on a tray or plate with the peanut sauce.
Heat the refried beans, whisking in 2-4 tablespoons water with a fork to loosen them. Add a spoonful of garlic chili paste, Sambal Olek, or a squirt of sriracha to taste, to pep them up a bit. Keep them warm.
Tortillas: Right before assembling the burritos, warm the tortillas to make them soft and pliable. If you have a gas stove, use tongs, place directly on the gas grate, over medium flame, turning often with tongs. Otherwise, place in a single layer in the oven on the rack until soft and pliable. Wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm.
Assemble: Spoon some of the warm beans onto the tortilla creating a base, add rice, then tofu and veggies and herbs. Spoon some peanut sauce over top, and optional peanuts or peanut chili crunch, and wrap up tightly. ***I’ve found it easiest to eat with foil wrapped around the bottom half to keep these big boys all together.
Keywords: Thai Burritos, Thai Burrito, vegan burrito, vegan thai burrito, peanut tofu,