- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce (see notes) or GF Braggs Liquid Aminos
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or *arrowroot)
If using regular soy sauce, use a scant half cup (like 6-7 tablespoons and fill to the edge with water, to dilute).
*Arrowroot can be substituted 1:1 for cornstarch. (Important to use at the end of cooking, just before boiling, as continued heating will cause it to lose its thickening ability.)
You can add less cornstarch for a less thick sauce, or leave it out entirely- especially if using as a marinade.
Keywords: teriyaki sauce, best teriyaki sauce, best homemade teriyaki sauce, vegan teriyaki sauce, homemade teriyaki sauce, teriyaki marinade, gluten-free teriyaki sauce, thick teriyaki sauce