This healthy vegan Sunshine Bowl is packed full of healthy veggies, brown rice and greens, and dressed with the tastiest Sunshine Sauce. (Updated 4/2021)
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice, quinoa or other whole grain
- 16 ounces (1 1/2 cups) cubed extra-firm tofu ( or feel free to buy baked tofu, or make crispy tofu)
- Drizzle of soy sauce or liquid aminos– optional
- 4 cups fresh raw crunchy veggies- grated beets, grated carrots, radish, daikon, kohlrabi, cucumber, jicama, peppers, snap peas, tomatoes
- 2 cups packed leafy greens–kale, spinach or arugula
- 2 tablespoons chives or scallions- chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- sprouts- optional
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, raw (see notes!)or sub hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup water (start with 1/4 cup, add more as needed)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (half an orange)
- 1/4 cup Bragg’s Liquid Amino’s or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, more to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1–2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8– 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional, for color)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger (optional)
- 1–2 teaspoons bee pollen (optional, for allergy benefits)
- 1–3 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional, for rich flavor)
Cook grain or rice according to directions. Drizzle 1 teaspoon Braggs liquid amino over cubed tofu in a bowl and set aside, letting it marinate.
Prep all veggies: grate or finely slice and set a side.
Make Sunshine Sauce (see notes first). Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until creamy and smooth. This may take a few minutes- and remember to scrape down the sides. If too thick, blend in a tablespoon or two more water (or add olive oil) as needed. It will thicken as it chills. Taste adjust salt and vinegar to your taste.
Assemble: When the grain is cooked, divide among 4 bowls. Top with chopped kale. Arrange veggies and tofu overtop. Drizzle with Sunflower Seed Sauce. Garnish with chopped chives ( or scallions ), sprouts, and sunflower seeds.
- If you don’t have a high-powered blender, these can be tricky to blend until completely smooth and creamy. You could simmer them in boiling water for 5 minutes and drain,or soak them in cold water for 30-60 minutes first (or overnight) to soften before blending, or sub hemp seeds. Soaked cashews would also work here.
- If you only have salted sunflower seeds, skip the salt in the recipe, adding it to taste.
Componenets can be made ahead, refrigerated and assembled for midweek meals. The dressing will keep up to one week in the fridge.
- Serving Size: -with 3 tablespoons Sunshine dressing
- Calories: 509
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 595.5 mg
- Fat: 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 64.1 g
- Fiber: 9.6 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Vegan bowl, vegan rice bowl, sunshine bowl, veggie rice bowl, sunshine sauce, sunshine dressing, sunflower seed dressing