How to make Simple Chicken Enchiladas with the BEST enchilada sauce! Fast and Easy with the 5-minute enchilada sauce!
- Shredded Chicken (you’ll need 4 cups)
- 4-ounce can green chilies
- 5-minute Enchilada Sauce or Roasted Enchilada Sauce (2 cups)
- 8–10 tortillas (corn and flour blend)
- 2 cups cheese- cotija, shredded Mexican blend, shredded jack, etc.
- optional filling additions: frozen corn, black beans, sauteed bell pepper, etc.
- garnishes: olives, sour cream, cilantro, scallions, avocado
- Make the Shredded Chicken (or shred a rotisserie chicken-see notes) drain, set aside 4 cups of the chicken and stir in the small can of green chilies.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make the 5-Minute Enchilada Sauce
- Heat the tortillas until they are pliable, to prevent cracking when rolling-especially if using corn tortillas. (In a microwave -wrap the stack in a kitchen towel for 20 seconds, or spread out on the rack in a 350 F oven, or lightly toast over a gas burner using tongs)
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Spread 1/2 cup Enchilada sauce, or enough to coat the bottom.
- Roll the Enchiladas: Place 1/4 cup cheese down the center of a tortilla, top with 1/3-1/2 cup chicken filling all the way to the edges. Roll tightly and place seam side down on top of the enchilada sauce. Repeat until the baking dish is full.
- Brush the remaining sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until warmed through and cheese is melty.
- Top with garnishes before serving!
This can be assembled ahead, refrigerated, and baked right before serving.
This can be made, baked and frozen for later.
You can make the chicken and sauce in batches the day before and then assemble the day of.
Feel free to cut back on the chicken and add corn or sauteed peppers and onions, or even black beans. 🙂
Keywords: chicken enchiladas, easy chicken enchiladas, easy enchiladas, best chicken enchiladas