Easy Chicken Enchiladas made with the simplest of ingredients. With just a few minutes of assembly time, bake it for 20 minutes, and dinner is ready. Everyone is happy!
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken (10-12 ounces) Use leftover chicken ( rotisserie, baked, grilled, etc)
- 5-minute Enchilada Sauce or Roasted Enchilada Sauce (2 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 x 6-inch tortillas (corn or flour or a corn & flour blend)
- 2 cups shredded cheese ( 8 ounces) – cotija, shredded Mexican blend, shredded jack, mozzarella etc.
- optional filling additions: canned green chilies, frozen corn, black beans,
- optional garnishes: sour cream, avocado, cilantro, scallions, pickled jalapeno, pickled onions
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make the 5-Minute Enchilada Sauce
- Mix 1/4 cup enchilada sauce with the shredded chicken, taste and season with salt and pepper. At this point you could add a 4-ounce can of green chilies for extra flavor.
- Heat the tortillas until they are pliable to prevent cracking when rolling-especially if using corn tortillas. (In a microwave -wrap the stack in a wet paper towel for 30 seconds, repeat if needed) Or spread out on the rack in a 350 F oven, or lightly toast over a gas burner using tongs.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup Enchilada sauce over the bottom, or just enough to coat.
- Roll the Enchiladas: Place 2 tablespoons cheese down the centers of the tortillas, divide the chicken filling. Roll and place seam-side down on top of the enchilada sauce. Repeat until the baking dish is full.
- Brush the remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until warmed through and cheese is melty.
- Top with garnishes before serving!
This can be assembled ahead, refrigerated, and baked right before serving ( be sure to let it come to room temp first).
This can be made, baked and frozen for later.
You can make the chicken and sauce in batches the day before and then assemble the day of.
Feel free to cut back on the chicken and add corn or sauteed peppers, onions, or black beans. You need a total of 2 cups of filling.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ Enchiladas
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 1023 mg
- Fat: 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.9 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Protein: 31.1 g
- Cholesterol: 84.6 mg
Keywords: chicken enchiladas, easy chicken enchiladas, easy enchiladas, best chicken enchiladas, the easiest chicken enchiladas, fast enchiladas, quick enchiladas, simple enchiladas,