Roasted Kuri Squash Soup with Harissa, roasted chickpeas, toasted pumpkin seeds and “smoked” yogurt – a hearty, delicous vegetarian soup!
- 1 Kuri Squash ( or small pumpkin, or acorn squash)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed ( or 1 cup soaked, dry garbanzos), patted dry.
- 1–2 teaspoons olive oil, pinch salt, pinch pepper and generous pinch smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil, ghee or butter
- ½ onion- diced
- 1 apple – diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (or ground)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (or ground)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (for medium spicy)
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4– 4 ½ cups water or stock
- Garnish – plain yogurt, “smoked yogurt” crispy chickpeas, toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro and scallions
- Pre heat Oven to 425F
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds with a spoon and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, open side down.Roast squash in the oven for 40 minutes or until very tender and soft and caramelized.
- To make crispy chick peas, drain and rinse chick peas, Dry well with paper towels. toss with olive oil ( enough to lightly coat) salt, pepper and smoked paprika and spread out on separate sheet pan.
- Roast chickpeas,until crispy about 20 minutes.
- In a medium pot, heat coconut oil over medium high. Saute onion and apple for 2-3 minutes, stirring, then add garlic, turning heat down to medium. Saute a few more minutes until garlic is fragrant and golden and onions are tender. Add spices and toast for 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the onion, apple mix to the blender with 1 cup of water (use this to rinse out the pot). Blend well, taking care to cover blender with a towel, holding lid down VERY tightly. Blend until spices and onions are very smooth. Place back in the pot. Blend the squash with the remaining water ( or stock) until very smooth, and place back in the pot. Heat over medium low heat, adding vinegar and maple. Adjust salt.
- Serve with a swirl of plain yogurt or “smoked yogurt”, crispy chickpeas, toasted pumpkin seeds, Aleppo chili flakes, and fresh cilantro.
- Notes: Instead of the spices you could stir in a few teaspoons or more to taste, of harissa paste. The “smoked Yogurt” is basically plain yogurt mixed with a bit of smoked paprika.
Keywords: kuri squash soup, roasted kuri squash, what is kuri squash?, roasted kuri squash soup, winter squash soup recipes, moroccan squash soup