Baked Sweet Potatoes are loaded up with healthy veggies and infused with Oaxacan flavors, served over optional Mole Sauce. Vegan, healthy, flavorful and perfect for Sunday meal prep. Gluten-free.
- 4 sweet potatoes, similar in size ( 3–4 inches in diameter, 6 inches long)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil, more for brushing.
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced small
- 1 small zucchini, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 cup corn (or sub black beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder ( or sub chili powder or smoked paprika)
- 1/2 cup -1 cup Mexican cheese or vegan cheese ( both optional)
- 2 cups Mole Sauce (optional, see below)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or scallions for garnish
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
Quick Mole Sauce:
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce or puree, or diced tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ an onion- rough diced
- ½ cup water or broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or GF liquid aminos
- 1–2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, plus 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce (or sub 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle, or 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp salt and Pepper, more to taste
- 4 tablespoons sesame tahini paste or peanut butter
- 2 ounces dark chocolate squares
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Bake the Sweet Potatoes: Wash, dry, and poke holes into the sweet potatoes using a fork. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake on the middle rack until tender in the center when you pierce with a fork. Depending on size this may take anywhere from 60-90 minutes. Check at 50. You could do this ahead and refrigerate. (See notes for extra-large.)
- Make the filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onion in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Lower heat to medium and add the bell pepper, zucchini, and garlic, and salt and saute until everything is tender- about 7-8 minutes. Add the corn, cook 2-3 minutes, and set aside.
- (Optional) Quick Mole Sauce: Place all the ingredients (EXCEPT the CHOCOLATE and TAHINI PASTE) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Place this Mole sauce in a medium pot, bring it to a simmer over medium-low heat, cover (it will splatter), and cook 7-8 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir in tahini sauce and chocolate until melted and combined. Taste, adjust salt and sweetness, adding a teaspoon of maple syrup if necessary (some chocolate is sweeter than others), or add more chipotle for heat. Turn heat off and set aside.
- Complete Filling:When the sweet potatoes are tender and cool enough to handle, using a knife, split lengthwise, careful to not go all the way through. Push the two pointy ends together like you would a coin purse, revealing the fleshy insides. Using a spoon, scoop out about a half of a cup, out of each sweet potato and place this in a medium bowl. You should have roughly 2 cups or a bit more. Add the cooked veggies and mix. Add all the spices and the optional cheese. Taste and make sure filling is salted and seasoned enough to your liking. Make it flavorful! Add more heat if you like.
- Stuff: Spoon the filling back into the sweet potatoes, mounding them up a bit. Brush skins with a little olive oil. Add more cheese if you want.
- Bake these right on the same parchment-lined sheet pan you just used and feel free to sprinkle with more cheese. Alternatively, place them in a baking dish over a layer of Mole Sauce– up to you.
- Bake at 375F until warmed all the way through, 25 minutes. ( If reheating directly from the fridge they will need longer.)
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds, cilantro, or scallions.
This recipe is very adaptable. Feel free to add cooked black beans for protein. Just make sure the filling is flavorful- so if adding more ingredients, you may need more salt and spices. 😉
Feel free to sub other veggies for the ones listed.
After the sweet potatoes are stuffed, you can bake them just as they are, on the same sheet pan without the Mole Sauce if you prefer. Or refrigerate them for later, pulling them out and reheating as you need them. They should last 3-4 days in the fridge.
The Mole Sauce is not authentic or traditional– it is a quick “cheater” version, but with good flavor.
Keywords: baked sweet potato, Mexican baked sweet potato, vegan sweet potatoes, twice baked sweet potato, stuffed sweet potato