- 3 roasted red bell peppers ( from a jar, or roast and peel your own)
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1–2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2–1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses, more as needed (see recipe in the notes)
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo chili flakes (or try Urfa Biber or regular chili flakes), and more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1–2 teaspoons honey, more to taste
- 1 cup fresh walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2– 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- Garnish: 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, crushed walnuts, pomegranate seeds, Italian parsley leaves or mint leaves. Serve with warm pita bread or crackers.
- If using canned roasted peppers, rinse and pat dry well. Place all ingredients except the walnuts
and bread crumbs into a food processor, and repeatedly pulse until chopped and combined but not completely smooth. Leave a little texture.
- Add toasted walnuts and bread crumbs and pulse until combined, but again, not too smooth.
- If it seems dry or thick, add a little more olive oil as needed.
- Taste and adjust salt, honey and chili flakes to your liking.
- At this point feel free to refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days ahead, allowing flavors to meld and enhance.
- Before serving, bring to room temp. Place in a medium bowl. With the back of a spoon make a circular well in the dip and drizzle olive oil into the well. Top with more crushed toasted walnuts, fresh pomegranate seeds and a few parsley or mint leaves. Serve with warm toasty pita or crackers.
To make 1/4 cup of pomegranate molasses, place 1 cup of 100 % pomegranate juice, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice into a small pot on the stove. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then simmer gently over medium-low or low heat, uncovered, until it has reduced all the way down to 1/4 cup. The more gently you simmer, the less bitter it will be. It will thicken as it cools.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 43.8 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: muhammara, muhammara recipe, muhammara dip, how to make muhammara, the best muhammara, what is muhammara?