Here’s a quick and easy recipe for Lemongrass Chicken that comes together in under 20 minutes, a flavorful Vietnamese- inspired dinner, perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1–2 tablespoons oil – peanut, coconut or wok oil.
- 2 fat shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup lemongrass, finely chopped (see notes)
- 4–5 dried thai chilies (or dried arbol chilies) or 1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 1 lb ground chicken or ground turkey (or substitute finely minced chicken breast, ground beef, ground lamb, or crumbled tofu, or other plant-based options- see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 bell red or yellow bell pepper (or sub other quick cooking veggie)
- 2 baby bok choy, about 2 cups, sliced (or sub other quick cooking green or veggie)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup mint leaves or thai basil
- Lime wedges
Serve with jasmine rice.
Set rice to cook if using.
In an extra-large skillet, heat oil over medium-heat heat. Once hot, add shallots, stir fry until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, lemongrass and dried chilies, stir-frying until fragrant. Scoop this all into a bowl and set aside.
In the same pan add a splash of oil, increase heat to high, add ground chicken and season with salt and pepper, breaking it apart with a spatula and browning just a bit. Add five spice, bell peppers and bok chok, lower heat, and stir fry until bell peppers are just tender, about 3 minutes.
Taste and adjust flavors- to taste.
Add fresh herbs and serve!
If using fresh lemongrass, use the tender white root end (3 inches), chop it as finely as humanly possible and mash it a bit to release the oils. It takes a little muscle. 🙂
If making this with beef or lamb, I would drain off the fat.
- Serving Size: 1 cup without rice.
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 7.8 g
- Sodium: 849.8 mg
- Fat: 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 21.9 g
- Cholesterol: 96.3 mg
Keywords: Lemongrass chicken, spicy lemongrass chicken,