Instant Pot Polenta! A delicious healthy side dish that is quick and easy to make in your Instant pot | pressure cooker! Vegan adaptable and totally gluten-free! Use this as a delicious healthy base for your own creations!
- 4 cups water or veggie broth
- 3/4 teaspoons salt,more to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs ( Rosemary, herbs du Provence, Italian herb blend) or 1-2 teaspoon fresh herbs
- 1 cup stone ground polenta (cornmeal)
Add your choice of:
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- Cheese- you could swirl in 1/4-1/2 cup of parmesan, pecorino, cheddar, cashew cheese, vegan cheese, goat cheese, sour cream, thick greek yogurt, smoked mozzarella, or whatever meltable cheese you have on hand. Start conservatively, add more to taste.
Add the water (or the broth) and salt, spices & herbs to the instant pot. Whisk in the polenta.
Set instant pot to 9 minutes, on high pressure.
Manually release, covering the steam spout with a kitchen towel.
Give a good whisk. Add the olive oil (or butter) and cheese, it will thicken a little as it sits.
Taste, adjust salt to taste.
Keep it on the warm function until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
Stove Top Version:
- In a medium pot, over high heat, bring water or broth, salt spices and herbs to a simmer on the stovetop. Lower heat to a gentle simmer. Gradually whisk in the polenta a little at a time to prevent any clumps. Once whisked smooth, cover the pot and lower heat to low– and cook for 15 minutes, or until the grains are tender and it has thickened.
- Stir in butter or olive oil and your choice of cheese. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Note: adding milk to the water in an Instant Pot may cause the burn error, so I’ve adjusted the recipe and removed this option.
Serve this with: Wild Mushrooms, Garlic and Sage , Sheet pan ratatouille or Simple Roasted Vegetables with Gremolata or Spring Veggies
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 575.4 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 4.6 mg
Keywords: instant pot polenta recipe, vegan polenta, polenta in the pressure cooker, easy polenta recipe, instant pot polenta, pressure cooker polenta, vegan side dish, gluten free side dish,