Smoky, spicy and tangy, this Grilled BBQ Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce is mouthwatering! The BBQ Sauce can be made from scratch -or use the quick cheater version in recipe notes!
- 12 pieces skin-on, bone-in Chicken (skin on thighs and legs work best)
- salt and pepper to taste
- One batch Homemade BBQ Sauce or use store-bought see notes
- Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper (If possible, season a day in advance, and refrigerate overnight).
- Pre-heat Grill to Medium-High heat and grease, or prepare a coal grill, having the hot coals on one side, leaving one side free of coals. (You want a hot side and a cool side.)
- Mix 1 cup BBQ sauce with ¾ cup water.
- Grill: Lay the chicken, skin side down on a hot grill turning as needed to give good sear on ALL SIDES, being careful not to burn, about 20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low, or move pieces to a cooler spot on the grill, cover and let cook low and slow for 30-40 minutes, turning and basting with a thin layer of BBQ Sauce, until chicken is cooked through, 185F-200F. Baste again.
- Crisp the Skin: Turn the grill up to high and give the skin side one quick hot sear to crisp them up. Let rest a few minutes before serving.
STORE BOUGHT BBQ SAUCE: Stir 2 cups of your favorite bottled BBQ sauce with a few tablespoons of the adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers (start conservatively and add more to taste) to add some smoky heat. Or add red chili paste. Sometimes a teaspoon of soy sauce helps to give it more depth if it needs it.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 529
- Sugar: 23.4 g
- Sodium: 499.8 mg
- Fat: 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 33.3 g
- Cholesterol: 175.6 mg
Keywords: grilled bbq chicken, BBQ Chicken, BBQ chicken recipes, barbecue chicken, Chipotle BBQ Chicken, Chipotle chicken recipe, chipote bbq recipes, barbecue chicken,