Grilled Chilean Beef Kabobs with Chimichurri Sauce and Cilantro Rice. An easy flavorful weeknight meal. Substitute cremini mushrooms for the beef for a vegan alternative. If going low- carb, use cauliflower rice!
- 2 lbs Beef- tenderloin, ribeye, sirloin, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes ( or sub 1 pound cremini mushrooms)
- ⅛ Cup oil
- ⅛ Cup lime juice, plus zest of one lime
- 2 cloves garlic- finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon Badia “complete” Seasoning ( or sub 1 tsp onion powder,1 tsp dried oregano or thyme, 1 teaspoon cumin)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Note: If not using the Badia seasoning, add one more teaspoon salt
- Skewer additions: cherry or grape tomatoes, sweet onions
Smokey Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro
- ½ Cup olive oil
- ⅛ cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno ( or use less for less spicy)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice, rinsed
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup cilantro- chopped
- 3 scallions – chopped
- 1 lime
- Garnish- lime wedges, chopped cilantro
- Soak 8 10 inch skewers in warm water.
- Cut the beef into cubes and place in a zip lock bag or in a medium bowl.
- Mix oil, lime juice and zest, garlic, spices, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the beef and seal the bag, shaking and mixing so all the beef is coated. Set aside on counter.
- Pre heat the grill.
- In a medium pot, add water and rice, bring to a boil. Cover, simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, make the Smokey chimichurri. Place all chimichurri ingredients in a food processor, and pulse repeatedly ( 10 to 15 times) until cilantro and onion are all minced well. It need not be smooth, but more like the consistency of pesto. Place in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make the skewers alternating beef, cherry tomato, onion slice, then repeat until skewer is full. You should have about 3- 4 pieces of beef on each skewer.
- Grill the skewers over medium high heat, rotating until meat is nicely charred and cooked to desired done-ness.
- Place rice in a bowl, squeeze with lime, and scatter the cilantro and scallions overtop.
- Serve the beef skewers with the Smokey Chimichurri and the rice.
Keywords: beef skewers, beef kabobs, grilled beef kabobs, chimichurri sauce, grilled beef, chimichurri sauce, chimichurri beef, chimichurri