A refreshing recipe for Cucumber Gazpach0 (aka Chilled Cucumber Soup) with yogurt, lime and cilantro. Keep it vegetarian or serve with shrimp for a light lunch.
- 1/3 of a jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon shallot, plus more for garnish ( or sub 1 green onion)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 large English cucumber (12 ounces) sliced (or sub-Turkish cucs, or any thin-skinned cucs- see notes)
- 1/4– 1/2 cup cilantro (or sub fresh dill, Italian parsley or even basil)
- 1–2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream ( or use more yogurt, but I prefer the sour cream)
- 1/2– 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or white pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- poached shrimp (optional) drizzled with lime, olive oil, salt
- diced avocado
- diced cucumber
- 1 –2 tablespoons red onion or shallots- very finely diced
- 2 scallions (or chives) – thinly sliced at a diagonal
- cilantro or dill, finely chopped
- Lime zest
- microgreens or edible flowers (coriander flowers, borage, nasturtiums)
- swirl of yogurt or 3 tablespoons sour cream, thinned with 1 tablespoon water
- Place the first 12 ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until serving. You can make this a day ahead. Taste and adjust salt, spice level, and acid to your liking.
- Prep any garnishes you are using, finely dicing cucumber and shallot, slicing scallions, etc.
- Mix sour cream and water in a small bowl (if making the swirl).
To serve: divide chilled soup among bowls and garnish beautifully.
- Spoon a large circle or “crescent” of thinned sour cream, then top with garnishes (see photos) cucumber, shallots, scallions, cilantro and microgreens, cooked shrimp, or edible flowers.
- Serve immediately!
Be sure the soup is really cold- so best to make it a little ahead of time so it has time to chill.✌️
Cucumbers: If wanting to use thick-skinned or waxy cucumbers, fine, but make sure to peel them first. Also taste for bitterness level before using. 😉 Thin-skinned work best here and give the soup a vibrant green color because the skin is blended up too. UP to you. If using peeled cucumbers, you could add a handful of fresh spinach or even arugula to bump up the color.
- Serving Size: 1 cup without garnishes
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 473.8 mg
- Fat: 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 14.3 mg
Keywords: chilled cucumber soup, cucumber gazpacho