A simple vegan pasta recipe, heavy on the cruciferous veggies, light on the pasta. Keep this vegan or add cheese (although it’s really good without).
- 4 ounces dry pasta (linguini, penne, spaghetti, angel hair)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 a medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 4–6 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pound cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale) all very thinly sliced.
- 1/2–1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/4 or more chili flakes
- zest of one lemon
- extra olive oil for drizzling
- Garnish: fresh basil ribbons, allepo chili flakes, toasted pine nuts, Vegan cheesy Sprinkle, or grated Pecorino cheese
- Feel free to add protein: seared shrimp, chicken, salmon or chickpeas!
- Place a pot of generously salted water to boil for pasta on the stove, and cook the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet
- Add onion and smashed garlic and saute for 2 minutes, breaking up the whole garlic with a metal spatula, just a bit, letting the oil infuse with garlic flavor.
- Add the whole mound of thinly sliced veggies. Let this cook without stirring for a few minutes, and it will begin to settle and lower in the pan, then just gently nudge it around, letting it continue to cook down about 5 more minutes. Add 3 tablespoons hot pasta water and 1/2 teaspoon salt Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When pasta is done, drain ( save pasta water) and set aside until veggies are bright green and tender.
- Stir in the pasta. Season with more salt, pepper and chili flakes. Add a splash of pasta water to loosen and make it saucy. If adding pecorino, add it now. Or keep it vegan ( with Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle).
- Serve in bowls and garnish with lemon zest, a light drizzle of olive oil, fresh basil, and if you want, pine nuts.
I love this recipe with pecorino cheese, but feel free to keep it vegan.
- Serving Size: -3 bowls
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 429.3 mg
- Fat: 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.4 g
- Fiber: 7.7 g
- Protein: 10.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Cruciferous pasta, Brussels sprouts pasta, broccoli pasta, cruciferous recipes, cruciferous pasta