A simple superfood packed pasta dish, heavy on the cruciferous veggies, light on the pasta. Keep this vegan or add cheese (although its really good without)
- 4 ounces dry pasta ( linguini, penne, spaghetti, angel hair)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ a medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 4–6 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pound cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, kale) all very thinly sliced.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ¼ or more chili flakes
- zest of one lemon
- extra olive oil for drizzling
- Additional optional garnishes- fresh basil ribbons, toasted pine nuts, grated Pecorino cheese
- Place a pot of water to boil for pasta on the stove, and cook the pasta. (do not salt)
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet
- Add onion and smashed garlic and saute for 2 minutes, breaking up the whole garlic with a metal spatula, just a bit, letting the oil infuse with garlic flavor.
- Add the whole mound of thinly sliced veggies. Let this cook without stirring for a few minutes, and it will begin to settle and lower in the pan, then just gently nudge it around, letting it continue to cook down about 5 more minutes. Add 3 tablespoons hot pasta water and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When pasta is done, drain and set aside until veggies are bright green and tender.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Season with pepper and chili flakes.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with lemon zest, a light drizzle of olive oil, fresh basil, and if you want, pine nuts and grated Pecorino cheese. Or keep it vegan, it’s just as good!